Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy, Happy, Happy!



Black-eyed peas - a Scribe Family tradition - kicked off 2014 for both me and Mr. Fairway. They also seem to be the proper avenue to re-introduce The Scholastic Scribe to the blogging masses.

Over the past 7+ months, I've been suffocated by paperwork, drowned in increased expectations, and hunkered down in Room 215 in a weak attempt to avoid schoolyard gossip and ignore administrative incompetence. More on that, natch, in future posts.

But I had a happy second half of 2013, too. Ella Numera Dos completed her first semester of graduate school, as well as a 6-month residency at my casita, culminating in a report card bedecked with straight As and a new apartment far - but not too far - from hearth and home. Ella Numera Una, in the meantime, launched her second year as a trial lawyer, learning all manner of how to win with judges, juries, and, of course, her old Mom.

To say I'm pleased and proud as punch would be to put it mildly. So, I'm taking advantage of a rare 2-week Winter Break (yes, sometimes we're PC even at The Scholastic Scribe) to regroup, refresh, and relaunch this online forum.

I can't promise too much in the way of controversy, except - of course - when circumstances warrant. I can't promise too much kvetching about life in Room 215, except - why not? - when I feel the need to vent. And I can't promise the sharing of too many secrets, except - well, gosh - when someone gives me reason to spread the good news.

Principal Man is no longer with us, but New Guy, on occasion, makes good copy. La Familia Scribe is scattered to the proverbial winds, but Mr. Fairway's wry comments could prove of mild interest to my readers. And then there are my cherubs - the relentless journalistas whose antics have kept  me coming back for more since - could it be? - 1994.

The Superior Snap above - for your info - captures our New Year's Day dinner. Rumor has it that a healthy helping of black-eyed peas at the start of every year will bring good luck to those who ingest them. I'm not sure about that, but don't remember a year in all of those I've been on this Earth that I haven't had my black-eyed peas on January 1st. If nothing else, I served up a delicious repast, and that's all that ever really counts, correctamundo?

So, here's to the future, to 2014 and to an online give-and-take that could produce a fruitful exchange of ideas and sometimes snarkiness, the way it's been since some time in 2008.

Salud, y'all!

3 comments:

Christy said...

I'm glad you're back....I've missed reading your posts. And I concur about the sense of drowning. It's been kind of a rough year on this end of the country and in my own classroom as well. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!!

Tara R. said...

This calls for a huge plate of celebratory nachos! So glad to see my favorite Scribe is back.

Jamie said...

Hooray!! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin