Thursday, June 28, 2012

Once Upon a Time...


Once Upon a Time...

For some reason it's always easier to tell someone what you want to when you write it. Face to face, you forget something, but when I write I can put thought into everything to make sure I don't miss anything I want to tell you. This is kind of cool. This is the first time you will read something from me that you aren't grading, but you may still find my common spelling blunders or grammar errors. (But I can spare you from my horrendous handwriting by typing.)

I guess the easiest place to start is at the beginning. Once upon a time...Just kidding, it's not that kind of story. Anyways, I moved here at the start of my junior year and I hated this school, it was cliquey and seemed very fake. I signed up for AP Lang not really knowing what it was but I knew that if I wanted to be challenged I had to choose that course. I've never regretted that decision.

Over time I learned that you were a quirky teacher that ran things the way she wanted them, even if the school board may not have liked it. I always thought that was refreshing because it's not every day that a teenager is treated like an adult (i.e I could actually use the bathroom in your class without informing you that my intestines and kidneys had finally purified all the liquids I had been drinking for running and then getting you to give me permission to go relieve myself. It's ridiculous if you think about it.)

But you are more than "the woman who allowed me to urinate." Your teaching style and the person you are have helped me grow in more than academics. Because you are a teacher that is herself from the get go and utters every thought that probably comes to your mind, I was able to instantly become myself in your classroom. I think you saw this in my writings but your probably didn't notice this in my social life. I'm typically, or was typically, super shy when I first meet people and it usually takes me a while to come out of my shell but in your class I wasn't like that. I made friends in your class so quickly. You helped show this school who I was, and I know you are either going "aww," or "this letter has so much cheese I could feed all of China with it." But I am telling the truth! School sucked till I was able to get over the fear of, well whatever was making me shy. So thank you.

You also pushed me academically. Your clever and constructive annotations on the plethora of timed writings I did for you helped me realize I can't spell but also gave me confidence. You see, every teacher I've ever had, and also every teacher I've known (even if I wasn't one of their students), always writes or tells students what they've done wrong, how they did awful, but you did the opposite. You would write smiley faces and leave comments that made me believe I am a writer, not just a student writing for a grade. And at the end you would tell me where I could improve or you'd write to me how I had improved. You've given me the confidence that I can write, debate, and that I am a bright teenager. So thank you for helping me become a better student. If I pass the AP Lit test [this year] it will be because of all the skills I developed in your class [last year]. Actually, every time I write an essay I use everything you taught me.

At the end of junior year you offered me a position on your yearbook staff and I decided to join for an easy "A" but also to have another year in Room 215. My senior year I think I actually became closer to you as a friend. I will remember you being my teacher but I will always remember all certain things you did for me. How you wrote me a recommendation on such late notice, how I would sit at your desk for all of class and ask you about politics, etc. But most importantly to me was when I got these horrid braces back on and I was in a terrible mood and I did not want to go sit at lunch with my friends and you let me eat lunch with you. Although I disagree, you told me my braces looked good, to quote you, "oh, whatever." Haha, anyways, I'll always appreciate how I could just go in and sit with you, even if we talked about weird things, like your daughters' love lives or the most recent election news. You truly are a mother before a teacher because you took care of me through my last two years of high school and also helped me become an accomplished high school student.

I loved getting unbiased opinions from you and laughing at the stupidity of some people. I will truly miss eating lunch in your room and being able to just sit and talk with you. You are an amazing teacher and woman. Your personality has taught me to enjoy learning and has helped me develop into who I am today. I can never thank you enough for all that you have done for me. I also can never show you how much you have affected me. All I can say is thank you so much and I will honestly miss you a lot.

I will be sending you e-mail updates on my life, my classes, and college life. Oh, and I can't forget politics. We have an election coming up! I trust you will continue to open my eyes to all sides of the situation.

So thanks again! Keep in touch. Love always,
A Senior, Class of 2012

PS: I guarantee I forgot things in this letter, but long story short, you have been a great positive influence on my life.


Susie said...

What a lovely letter:-)

Robert C. (Teach_J) said...

That is why we teach.

Raine said...

beautiful! the garden and the letter

Paloma said...

WOW! That letter is awesome! And it makes up for the bad things you have to put up with as a teacher! Your work, effort and patience doesn't go unnoticed and it also gives fruit in the people you teach.

Lucy said...

The reason every teacher goes back year after year after grueling year. What a wonderful letter :)

Maureen | Tatter Scoops said...

Such a beautifully written letter and I love your humor in it :D

Betty Manousos said...

so lovely, the garden and the letter.



Blog Widget by LinkWithin