Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I *Heart*...

I *Heart*




One could figure this "found" piece of art as lonely longhorn, stranded far from home on an OBX beach. I view it as a love letter to my favorite place, and see the quasi-heart shape in that bloviated bovine's "horns."


On a day of pinks and reds and even fuschias, I'd like to honor the somber brilliance of the beach. As soon as I hit NC 158 South, just past the Virginia line, I know I'm home.

I *heart* the beach. My valentine today is to its bright blues, its powerful cascades of rolling surf, its shades of buff and gray, its infinite particles of sand, which of course paint my heart with wonder at the sunrise, awe at the whipping force of huricane gales, but also at the relative peace in which its waters wash me.

Now that I've scribbled this homely declaration of love, I see how I could have crafted a poem, instead of this collection of slightly disjointed pieces of prose. But verse would not have paid the proper tribute.

I wear my heart, not on my sleeve, but on the crests of the whitecaps that rush to the shore. Happy Valentine's Day.

3 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Gorgeous photo and words! Here's to the madness that is Valentine's Day in high school. May all of your students, especially those without flowers, be receptive to the message that they are indeed loved today. They are lucky to have you!

Tara R. said...

I feel the same about our beaches here.

Happy Beachy Valentine's Day.

Nance said...

I leave you to your Beach Love. Not being a fan myself, I don't get it at all. It's last on my list of Places To Be, but your tribute is heartfelt. Here's to the two of you spending lots and lots of time together, and as soon as possible.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin