Monday, January 9, 2012

Time to Tebow

Time to Tebow



Please say a little prayer for me.

Just last week, those in charge of such things added yet another cherub to my already overly stuffed 7th period. This is the Intro to Journalism class. The one with the youngest kids, with the biggest learning curves.

I have 36 of the little buggers in that class now. Did I mention that I only have 34 chairs in Room 215? Before long, I'll be teaching an extension course out in the hallway.

That's not the worst of it, though. My Yearbook class has 41 journalistas in attendance. It takes me 10 minutes to call the roll. Thank goodness the older kids move around - doing interviews, taking photos, wandering the halls aimlessly - or I'd have to throw a few of them out the window.

The 45 kiddos on my school newspaper staff, fortunately, are split up into two different classes. A group of 21 comes in at 9 a.m., followed by a class of 24 at 11 a.m.

And let's not forget the 27 enrolled in my AP English Lang course.

These are all writing-intensive classes. Mentoring, tutoring, teaching and re-teaching are a constant in Room 215. So are hollering (by both the teacher and the students) and excessive giggling (when someone who is sharing a seat falls on the floor).

General mayhem is the rule in my workaday life; never the exception. For those of you who are keeping count, that's 149 of the little buggers cycling through my classroom in an endless parade of adolescence and all its inherent wonderment - and woes.

The good news is that, in my Intro class at least, the 14-year-olds can - and do - often double up, especially when everyone is present. But as it is now, I pray every 7th period that one or two of my students will be absent so that I will have a place for everyone to sit.

The young man who is "Tebowing," above, is one of my seniors. He's been a student of mine since he was one of those scrawny 14-year-olds. At 6-feet-plus and 18 years old, though, I don't think he has the size, nor the inclination, to share anymore. Except, perhaps, his faith - if even in a mocking way.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

It might be time to add a little medication for you to the Tebowing on your behalf :)
That is a plethora of adolescent hormones to deal with on a daily basis.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs and gobs of prayers!!!! I think it's really so unfair to you AND the students to be so crowded like that. I don't suppose it's going to change anytime soon either....

Tracie said...

You're a saint. I could not handle that many teenagers in one room. Good luck!

xanax bars said...

Be strong! you can fight with it without medications :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

If you weren't so much fun, there wouldn't be as many kids clamoring to work on your staff and be in your classes!

Susie said...

That's crazy!

Betty Manousos@ Cut and Dry said...

that's absolutely crazy!good luck!


i'm with liz, a nut in a nutshell.
you're a brilliant teacher, my friend!

big hugs!

PJ said...

Well, it seems as though my thoughts have all been spoken above. It is so sad that your classes are so over crowded, yet at the same time it is a compliment (not the exact word I was looking for, but it will do in a pinch) to you, as far as your teaching skills, and your popularity with the students (not being the exact word either). Anyway,keep your chin up (above the sea of students), count it as a blessing,and onward go. As far as the Tebowing, I was hoping that it wasn't a "mocking" picture, but one showing that Tebow's action were rubbing off. That is how I look at Tebow's demonstrative worship. I'm all for it. He knows where his help comes from and he is not afraid to show it.

God Bless,
PJ

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin