Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Longest Yards

The Longest Yard


Mama Kat's Prompt #1: Write a poem inspired
by the last conversation you had with your child.


When you were six,
you joined a soccer team.
The Red
Hot
Chili Peppers.
You didn't really understand
the game.
You didn't really understand
that soccer is a contact
sport.
You had boundary issues.

When you were seven,
you joined the summer swim
team,
a week after you broke your
jaw.
Remember when Justin
smacked you with the golf
club?
(I think you were trying to kiss him.)
"It was an accident!"
I know.
But your boundaries kept
expanding.

When you were 14,
you joined the high school
field hockey team.
And a ball shot through
the air
at the speed of light.
It ricocheted off your
shin.
That concave scar is still there,
I think.

When you were 18,
you went away to
college.
I didn't cry,
but I cleaned your room,
for weeks.
My sadness lifted only
after I'd made
five
trips to the Salvation Army.
(You always were a pack rat.)

When you were 19,
you dared your friend
Lisa
to swim the most yards
on a winter team
trip.
60,000-plus, all in one
week.

When you were 22,
you entered law school.
"It's hard as hell,"
you muttered.
And came home on break
with a separate suitcase
full of
books.

Now you're almost
25.
You're graduating soon.
You've got a "real"
job,
in the "real"
world.

Your boundaries
disolved.
Just like
many
of my worries
(but never all).

You've covered
the
longest
yards
without help,
but with a lot
of support.

We honor your
journey.

8 comments:

The Attic Ghost said...

Awe. I loved your poem.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Great poem! And big hugs & congrats to Ella #1 and her awesome Mom!!!!

Tracie said...

That's so sweet. You're a good mom!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I loved getting to read about their journey! Well done!

Galit Breen said...

Oh my, this is lovely and son try lovingly written!

Tara R. said...

Sounds like she is going the distance and is winning.

The Blonde Duck said...

So sweet!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

What a beautiful poem and tribute to your daughter!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin