Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All Washed Up

Splish Splash

Mama Kat's Prompt #2: Top Trends of 2011 That I Want To Forget

I spent a quiet Christmas - NOT - herding cats, for reals.

La Familia Scribe welcomed one daughter's kitten home for the month, while the other chica - a seasonal volunteer at the local animal shelter - brought her work home with her one afternoon, so to speak. The oldest newest furball is Phoebe, also known as Teen-Teen, an adolescent feline of seven months or so. The baby's name is Susie, also known as Jingles, and she's four months or so. The kittens join our Old Lady, Pepper the Cat, who is nine years young.

I spent Tuesday morning running interference between three bowls, three cats and three competing breakfast agendas. The youngest flitted between bowls, unsure of her place in the kibble hierarchy. The oldest took her time, rumbling a throaty warning every time one of the other two interlopers came too close. The middle one was just right - consuming her ration and allowing me to lock her up in the basement so the others could finish their crunchy repast.

As a woman who now is House Mom to more animals than children, I'm hardly in a position to construct a Top 10 List for 2011, while I'm probably an expert on what I don't want to see again in 2012.

But right now I have to get my beauty rest. I'll be up again tomorrow morning, herding cats - for reals.


Susie said...

Herding cats...LOL:-)

MissKris said...

SO nice to see your comment, Melissa. I am sorely behind in doing much of anything with my blog or visiting. I don't know if you're aware of the fact my entire nuclear family has moved to Michigan this past March. It's been one amazing roller coaster ride of goodbyes,hellos, endings, and new beginnings. Happy New Year to you as well. I DO think of you tho I don't 'get around' much.

carma said...

we were about to adopt a kitten last week but after much thought, did not. Probably for the best as I'm already overwhelmed with things as is. Your post has made me feel better about my decision although that was not the intent of your post ;-)

About the UTZ, I had a smile on my face when I read your comment because I had just added container of UTZ cheeseballs to the shopping list in anticipation of my son's birthday party this weekend.

It's not a party without cheeseballs!!!!

thank you for visiting my blog. I've scaled way back so that I can focus on my studies - for at least another 6 months....

Tracie said...

Awww...cute kitties! I can't handle having any pets as I have my hands full with life/kids/work and most of us are allergic to some critter or another. Sometimes I think it would be fun to have one though...

Nance said...

Yay, KITTENS! The grey one especially captures my heart, for obv. reasons. I am all in favour of rescuing kittens and opening your heart, hearth, and home to as many as you can comfortably and responsibly accommodate. I hope your Senior Resident Cat isn't too discomfited by the brash newcomers, and that you all get along happily.

In related news, your GodKitten Marlowe brought me a real mouse, good and dead, from the basement yesterday! What a brave girl! I suspected with our unseasonably warm and wet fall and winter that we had an invader, and she dispatched it triumphantly. So much for declawed cats being defenceless!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

OH my gosh, you have your hands full of paws!

The Blonde Duck said...

I would love to be a puppy herder.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'd love to be herding cats!!!! I miss my Minnie so much!

Betty Manousos@ Cut and Dry said...

i'd love to be herding cats, too!

love kittens!

btw, i like that photo.



Blog Widget by LinkWithin