Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Trot

I do realize that San Francisco isn't really my city. I do consider it my second home, however, since my extended family lives out there. And since Unknown Mami, who runs this meme, is an SFO resident, I post this as a tribute to her city, as well.

Spent Turkey Day in the City by the Bay. Early on Black Friday, however, I exchanged the growing throngs down by Union Square for a solitary ride to the Marina District on the Powell Street Cable Car. These photos were shot on the return ride back to my hotel on the other side of downtown.

These manually operated civic gems have been cranking and clanging up and down SFO's hills since 1873. As you can see by the concentration etched in the grip man's face, powering the cable cars is no easy feat.

I'm always thrilled when I get to hitch a ride on these contraptions. Guess you could say my Friday morning Turkey Trot was a bit of an early Christmas present ~ to myself.

Cable Car Commute 1

Cable Car Commute 2

Cable Car Commute 3

Cable Car Commute 4

Cable Car Commute 5

Cable Car Commute 6

Cable Car Commute 8

Cable Car Commute 9

7 comments:

Pseudo said...

I absolutely love SF. Even the cold. Great photos.

Jeanie said...

I haven't been to SF for 10 years or so. Your pics bring back great memories. The last time I was there I had a couple of days by myself to wander around, ride the cable cars, whatever I wanted. It was great.

Wayne W Smith said...

What a set of fun photos!

Vidya Sury said...

Ah, I can see myself cruising down that road on a motorbike :D Looks so inviting!

ceodraiocht said...

When I lived in the city I'd take that cable car to work - beware, they don't stop well in the rain. Great shots.

ttmillers said...

I've never been to SF. I love the pictures you took. The angles are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Tracy P. said...

Those are awesome shots! So glad you could get away and enjoy Thanksgiving with your family!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin