Monday, September 12, 2011

Out of the Frying Pan...

Out of the Frying Pan...

School started last week. And just as we got into a rhythm, of sorts, the district shut us down because the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee had inundated our area with 15+ inches of rain.

Although it took me more than two hours to get home (usually a 25-minute trek) last Thursday afternoon, I had much to be thankful for. The basement remained dry. No one I know was hurt. We got a day off from school, although I'm sure we'll have to pay for that largesse when the snows of winter arrive.

We started back up again Monday. I was having a difficult time remembering names, since we'd only been in session for three days. My Lang cherubs are already behind. I had to attend a pointless faculty meeting after school today. There are so many papers to grade already ~ yes, I know, I should be easier on the kiddos, but it's not in my DNA.

Driving home Monday afternoon, however, I saw a sight that put all of this in perspective. At least my car has never caught on fire.

5 comments:

Unknown Mami said...

May your car NEVER catch on fire.

Tara R. said...

Ditto what Mami said. There is always someone who has it worse than we do. It's all perspective.

Nance said...

I was in a car that caught fire. It is truly frightening. What's almost worse is the people who stand around and watch your car burn like it's an entertainment. I wanted to slap them. Hope your year proves to be largely obstacle-free; moreso than its beginning.

K-Ped said...

ahh my car caught on fire in December. not one of my favorite things. not a huge deal though

Shelby Owen said...

I am in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I read your post and I agree traffic really does stink, but I am glad your car did not catch on fire. I hope the rest of your school year goes well and your students are good. I do have some advice about helping you not grade so many papers. Maybe you should incorporate technology into your classroom and make your students blogs.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin