Sunday, September 11, 2011

Oh, Say Can You See?





Oh, Say Can You See?


Ten years ago this morning, I was getting ready for my AP Lang cherubs. We were about to discuss "On Keeping a Notebook," an essay by Joan Didion. If you haven't read this classic, you should.

This morning, I'm sitting in my basement, trying to reflect on the last 10 years, and what they've meant to me.

Hassles have developed, for sure. TSA officials commandeer my toothpaste if it's in a container larger than the prescribed three ounces. I'm forever worried about walking across nasty airport floors in my bare feet. When I'm in DC and see a man of the military persuasion equipped with suitable body armor and firepower, I still flinch sometimes.

But my journalistas are ever-cognizant of the patriotic photo op. And they ask sensitive questions during class about the conflicts we continue to wage ~ both the traditional battles involving troops and munitions, and the war of words back home.

Many of my cherubs have parents deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Several of my former students have been called to serve in that part of the world ~ some more than once.

Ten years have passed since the Twin Towers fell. One of my neighbors ~ a young man not yet 30 years old ~ perished when the second tower fell, and is honored with a memorial near the center of my DC 'Burb.

A decade has elapsed since the conflagration at the Pentagon caused by Flight 77, which landed a direct hit on the west side of our monument to military might. One of the Dads from my high school was on board.

It seems like more than a lifetime since the passengers of Flight 93 took control from the hijackers. That jet had turned around and was headed toward DC, too.

I'm not afraid. I visit DC and New York without the trepidation I once felt when parts of those beautiful cities were still smoking ruins. But I am more aware of my surroundings, the world around me.

My pride ~ in family, in country ~ has grown, too, since September 11, 2001. I snapped this shot at my beloved OBX, as the sun tried to break through the low clouds hanging above the fierce Atlantic.

The sun, the clouds, the flag. They are part of me. They are part of us. We're together on this journey. We will never forget.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

A very thoughtful and nicely written remembrance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today.

Tara R. said...

Superior tribute

brainella said...

Lovely post. Today conjures so many emotions. Peace be with you. :)

sheila said...

Wonderfully and beautifully written! Love your words and thoughts. I'm sitting here right now with tears just listening to the National Anthem before the Browns game. Every since that fateful day, I tear up when I hear it.

Vidya Sury said...

Poignant. 9/11 is scary to think of. We're having our share of bomb blasts and terrorism :-( too frequently

Lynn said...

Great post. Love your writing style.

Unknown Mami said...

We are together on this journey. Beautiful tribute.

Working Mommy said...

Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing!

WM

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin