Sunday, April 10, 2011

In a Jam?

In a Jam

This is what the A.M. commute looks like on a highway near my house. No, I don't (often) drive this way. Plus, since I go to work at Oh, Dark Thirty every morning, I tend to avoid these kinds of traffic jams. Instead, I usually have the pleasure of witnessing a spectacular sunrise from Room 215 every morning.

Depending on who you're talking to at any given moment, DC has either the first- or the second-worst traffic in the nation. It's hard to believe, sometimes, that we live in such an otherwise spectacularly breathtaking region.

I did, however, get stuck in a little bit of a jam when driving home Friday afternoon. Two days ago, you may recall, the airwaves were abuzz with news of an imminent federal government shutdown, and I heard more than I wanted to know from various pontificators on the all-news radio station.

The DC politicos, however, dodged that particular bullet, with some kind of last-minute deal that nobody~even the parties involved~understands. Which is a darn shame, if you ask me.

Between reducing all the hot air on Capitol Hill and taking all those cars off the road, shutting down the government would be good for the environment, wouldn't it?


Jeanie said...

I have to admit that I hadn't thought about it in terms of the number of cars it would get off the road.

urban muser said...

cool traffic shot!

Molly said...

Great shot and I love your comment about shutting down government would be good for the environment, you should see the ring road round London sometimes though, this looks like light traffic in comparision but then far to many people live on this tiny little island of ours.

Thanks for sharing


Sarah said...

The government nowadays is a joke with the party of 'no' stopping everything good for people or environment. Sad!

Ash said...

But don't all government workers in D.C. drive Hybrids?

I'm joking, I'm joking! All this has been intersting, for sure. A few days without all the BS would have been a welcomed relief.

Keetha Broyles said...

Yah, when we vacation in the Wisconsin Northwoods we run into really crazy traffic jams all the time, as you can see here:


Stephanie Faris said...

Nashville's traffic is pretty bad but we don't have many alternatives. There are buses but no trains, and if I want to ride the bus, I have to plan on an hour to an hour and a half commute with all the connections, when I can just drive there in my car in 20 minutes!

carma said...

it would be - too bad that didn't happen :D I'll soon be commuting again - UGH!

Unknown Mami said...

My thoughts are a jumble. I appreciate your perspective. I don't like temper tantrum throwing from my toddler or from my elected officials. Figure it out, without histrionics. I just didn't realize that giving the government a time-out was even an option. This makes me re-think my stance on spanking.

That corgi :) said...

visiting from Sunday in My City. I know that look well of cars on the interstate or freeway or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods; glad you can avoid it most of the time based on your work schedule!

have a good week ahead!


BLOGitse said...

I wouldn't like to spend my mornings in jams like that....You have four lanes. Our tiny little country has only two and in the countryside only one, sigh. :)
Have a good week!

blueviolet said...

I think they should be required to take public transportation. ;)


Blog Widget by LinkWithin