Saturday, March 12, 2011

What Would Mark Twain Do?


What Would Mark Twain Do?

Every time I'm faced with the daunting task of grading eleventy-gazillion student papers, I ask this question. WWMTD? has become more than a rhetorical refrain in my life.

Samuel Langhorne Clemons wrote The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn ~ just shy of 300 printed pages ~ over the course of eight years. By hand. As in, with a pen and paper, as in the photo, above.

I complain when I have a set of 60 student papers. Or 120, as is the case this weekend. But I'm headed to NYC on the Amtrak Monday morning, so I'll have ample time to get a lot of work done.

Or not. Like most folks, I'm an inveterate procrasinator, especially when faced with all that student work to correct.

WWMTD? Probably write wry comments in the margins of my cherubs' written work. Or toss them in the recycling bin. Whatever his choice, I'm confident it would be designed to make them both laugh ~ and cry. And he probably wouldn't get those papers back to them until next year, at the earliest.

I'm not quite there yet. I've made them laugh. I've made them cry. The simultaneous juxtaposition, I believe, would be amazing to behold.

7 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

This post was too fantastic! : )
I bet Mark Twain would write witty comments in the margins. Hope your train ride into the city on Monday is fantastic!

Amy said...

I hope you feel the appreciation of your students for the job you do.

Enjoy the train ride.

Susie said...

LOL!!!

BLOGitse said...

Oh no, it's that time of the year again. How time flies...
Have a good w!eek ahead

Unknown Mami said...

You need to wear a bracelet with WWMTD? Brilliantly hilarious.

Laurie Matherne said...

Hmmm. WWMTD? I don't know but you gave me insight! Indeed. I had a grad school teacher who supposedly sold her car with all of our end of term projects in the trunk. I suppose she could have located the owner and got them back.. but we had to present our work orally. That's an idea. Pretend you sold your car, with all of the stuff gone!

Sarah said...

Both are hard work, but yours is less fun I'm sure.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin