Monday, January 17, 2011

My 15 Minutes


Who Likes Short-Shorts?



I went for a "soak"
after a
difficult day
in the trenches.

A communal
whirlpool
hot tub
"spa,"
they call it.

15 minutes to go.

"Oh, he's hot,"
one of my cherubs might
say.

All I saw
was muscled pecs
and a too-small head.

I wondered
how a lifeguard
had the time
to join us.

His red shorts
gave him away.

12 minutes to go.

A young lady
tagged along.
Purple one-piece ~
maybe a swim-team chick?

"I had fun over break,"
she said,
perched
on the edge of
the steaming spa.

10 minutes to go.

He flexed. Grunted.
Postured. Adjusted.
Posed as if he were older.

9 minutes to go.

"I read Gatsby," she chirped.
"Did you read Gatsby?"
He grunted. Mumbled
something about Spark Notes.

7 minutes to go.

"I wish you enjoyed
books more," she said,
snuggling closer.
4 minutes to go.

He moved his tiny head
a bit.
I wondered about
steroids.

She kissed him on one
defined shoulder blade.

I stood up,
hit
the
showers.

They moved
closer
together,
but farther apart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling the poetic muse? Scribble a little something, post it at your place,
and link back here. No fuss, no Mr. Linky, no muss.

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Nice rhythm Melissa.

A Mother's Abiding Love: Acts of Courage

Snuggle Wasteland said...

Oh, that poor girl. You're giving me flashbacks to high school and my bad taste in manboys.

Great poem though!

yonca said...

Haha! Nice one, Melissa! I liked his red short btw:)

Susie said...

I love your writing:-)

Jeanie said...

Teenage angst. Sigh.

Tara R. said...

Ahhh...teenaged love. Doesn't sound very relaxing for you though.

blueviolet said...

You're a nosy one, aren't you? LOL

Au and Target said...

My first thought was: gosh you wear clothes in a whirly pool? How Malaysian!

Sarah said...

If he didn't read Gatsby (and enjoy it) then forget him.

Mrs4444 said...

very nice!! I enjoyed this :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin