Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Empty Promises

Empty Promises

When my chicas return to home base ~ an occurrence that that is becoming increasingly rare around La Casita Scribe ~ we always sound the same theme. Pick up the dirty clothes strewn across the floor, do something other than watch endless hours of cable bridal shows ~ you know the drill.

The bane of my existence, though, as far as my kids are concerned, is the lowly diswasher. Over the years, I've given up on getting the full trash can down to the curb or the empty one back to the garage ~ or removing the sticky ice cream bowls from the table near the TV ~ but I'm eternally optimistic when it comes to getting the automatically scoured forks, plates and the warped plastic blue cups back into the kitchen recesses where they belong.

After this last Christmas visit, however, I'm beginning to think that my gals have forgotten Judy Garland's mantra, "There's no place like home."

The drama began with the youngest, of course. I returned from the salt mines one afternoon, only to discover the trash can still down at the curb, the sticky bowls still residing in the vicinity of the television, and the diswasher still jammed with the detritus of the "clean" cycle.

I mumbled, I muttered, I threatened. Ella Numera Dos looked up from "David Tutera's My Fair Wedding" long enough to say, and I quote, "I'll get to it tomorrow, Mom, if I remember."

I thought things would improve when Ella Numera Una returned to keep the home fires burning. She is older, if only by three years. She's legal, as she reminds me often. I anticipated that domestic bliss would finally be within my grasp.

Until, that is, the lovely Una emptied the dishwasher. On her own. Totally unbidden. I was, needless to say, thrilled. Well, for about 10 minutes, at any rate.

Let's just say that the state of my clean cutlery presented me with a curious conundrum. How to ask Ella Numera Una to cease and desist ~ at least when it came to putting away the dishes.

Two weeks later, I'm still trying to find the deep baking dish. And the tablespoons are nested with the can opener, for some reason. Plus the corkscrew has gone permanently missing (it's not even an item that goes in the dishwasher. Go figure).

Was she sending me a message, or has she truly forgotten where we store the stonewear? She's moving on, I suppose. And someday, I'll find my favorite egg skillet.


Amy said...

I can't find anything in my parents' kitchen anymore. I also noticed when I was home for Christmas that I acquired kitchen/cleaning habits from sources unverifiable, but that are definitely not the ones from my mother/grandmother. That's a weird thing to realize.

June Freaking Cleaver said...

Emptying the dishwasher is one of The Boy's few chores - and I'm stuck finding the hiding places of baking pans, casserole dishes and the potato masher all the time.

Generally, all these items are found within arms' reach of the dishwasher, like it's just too much effort to walk across the kitchen to put them away in the cabinet.

Jeanie said...

If it is any comfort, and I'm sure it is not much right now, it does get better as they get older. In the meantime I can just hear her say "we'll see if she asks me to do this again" as she hides your pots and pans. :)

Carol said...

LOL! Be careful what you wish for!

Might be a good excuse to buy some new things :) If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone!

blueviolet said...

You can't have your cake and eat it too???

Susie said...


The Blonde Duck said...

My MIL almost burst into tears of joy because I kept doing the dishes while we were there for Christmas. I don't mind loading it, I just hate unloading it. But at the Pond, I am the Queen of dishes!

Snuggle Wasteland said...

Ha! My kids don't do anything around the house. Their role model is my husband. *sad face*

Cheryl said...

Ah, domestic bliss.

Hahahahahahaha! This is so believable. I love it.

Au and Target said...

I wish I had a dishwasher - they are considered luxuries in Malaysia as one dishwasher is the wages for a maid for about 10 months.

Mrs4444 said...

I relate to this SO much! If i had a dime for every time I asked Kendall to empty the dishwaher, I'd be rich!

tattytiara said...

Someone recently explained to me the logic of having two dishwashers - you simply switch the dishes back and forth and remove the cupboards from the equation entirely.

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

Don't get me wrong but I hate emptying the dishwasher.

Hey, be careful what you wish for!

B xx

Tara R. said...

I'm there with you. My College Kid is much more domestic than when she left for school, but having to go behind her to re-do her help is tiring. You might be onto something... a little passive aggressive behavior perhaps?


Blog Widget by LinkWithin