Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trial Balloon

Trial Balloon

Cracking down isn't too much fun.

Last week, for the first time in my teaching career, one of my journalistas told me that I'm "so not cool." The next day, another expressed frustration, saying, "You used to be so chill."

Yes, I'm the teacher whose students, on occasion, have climbed out my classroom window onto the roof and have made a quick dashes to the Bagel Bakery between classes. I promise, I've never condoned this behavior, and have punished said cherubs for such actions. But I do let my kiddos eat in Room 215 and have always looked "the other way" when a kid wants to plug into his iPod while working on the newspaper or yearbook.

All of the above are verboten behaviors at Our Humble High School. The first two, obviously, for safety's sake. And I even "get" the ban on "electronic gadgets" ~ iPods, cellies, computer games, and the like ~ during serious "core" classes such as English and Math.

But I've never cottoned to the all-out ban on electronics and food in a classroom that simulates the work environment, such as my high school journalism classes.

Things have gotten out of hand, though. My cherubs have taken to ordering Domino's, Chinese and Chipotle during 5th period. They're texting away on their cellies at the slightest provocation. And I'm pretty sure their musical selections and computer games are not work-related.

So I've started taking iPods and cellphones, and turning them in to Security. I've banned "carry-out" from the classroom. As much as I adore them, I'm tired of the little hellions taking advantage of me.

But playing Bad Cop certainly comes with a price. I'm exhausted!


Nug Nug said...

Happy Six Word Saturday!!!!!

Christy said...

ugh. I hear ya.

quilly said...

Sounds like your cherubs need the "privilege is only extended to those mature enough to handle it responsibly" speech.

Cheryl said...

Ah Melissa, that stinks. Being given some latitude is a privilege. Too bad some abused it to the point of you having to crack down on 'em. No wonder you're exhausted.

Sarah said...

If it's any consolation, I was a pretty obedient student. We were told a teacher was like a father (or a mother). A lost concept here.

Donna said...

So difficult to strike a balance. Kind of reminds me of playing tug-of-war internally.

Here's to renewed strength and energy!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin