Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pink Sky at Night, Sailor's Delight




Pink Sky At Night, Sailor's Delight


As we enter the final stretch of 2010, my yearbookies face the consequences of their own morality ~ and maturity.

Let me explain.

My little journalistas of the yearbook variety are up against a monthly deadline. Unlike the student newspaper, the yearbook ~ its pages, its photos, its stories, its captions ~ is pretty much an entity etched in stone. Because this annual publication is a book, after all, my cherubs have very little deadlne wiggle room

And herein lies the problema. Big-time.

Those of you familiar with kids ~ ranging in age from pre-school to high school seniors ~ know that while we're facing the most wonderful time of the year, we also face the most spazzy interlude in the public school calendar.

You'd think I'd fed them Skittles. Non-stop. 24/7.Or that I'd installed an old-fashioned soda fountain in Room 215 ~ as part of a mandatory sugar-loading program, for goodness' sake.

Bottom line, the natives are restless. Downright giddy. Christmas is coming, and they have some time off, just around the corner. So they'll fart around for the next three weeks, deadlines be damned.

As I told the kiddos today, "I've already been to high school. I put my time in. I graduated. This time around, it's not my yearbook, after all."

Except that it is my cross to bear, correctamundo? I signed a contract, after all. I put my John Hancock on the dotted line, guaranteeing a yearbook, come June or high water. But the fine print didn't say anything about quality.

Serenity now, as George's dad would say. I've got Christmas in my sights, too. And a trip to the OBX is under my tree.

13 comments:

Christy said...

seriously. They make me want to rip my own arm off and beat them to death with it. You'd think I was asking them to calculate the last number of pi or copy the Mona Lisa using crayons and a dryer sheet.

Bill S. said...

I am a teacher and at 65 do not plan on retiring soon - too much fun teaching and enjoying the little farts.

quilly said...

I know you've done this, but look at your little twerps and ask, "Do you want the last thing your high school classmates remember you for to be putting together the shittiest yearbook ever?"

yonca said...

Wow,gorgeous pic! Yesterday I was watching sunset. It was colorful, gabbed my camera but I had a buttery lol.

Tara R. said...

Lovely sunrise. I still quote that rhyme when mornings are pink like that.

I'm sure you'll find the right inspiration for your cherubs.

Susie said...

The kids just lose thei minds this time of year don't they?

'Tsuki said...

Wow... Students are just the same everywhere in the world... I feel more sorry for you than for them :/

Nice picture by the way.

Quasi Serendipita said...

That's a lovely scene!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you don't get too stressed!

jeannette said...

Beautiful pink and gray scene! I didn't read your post -it makes me think too much of school and work, LOL.

Lucy said...

What a great picture! Oh, kids,they just don't get it.

DeLi said...

its so peaceful, im even hearing loudly my tapping of keyboards....

and oh, all the best to your project

Tracy P. said...

That is gorgeous! Hang in there Mrs. Scribe!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin