Thursday, December 2, 2010

Open Wide...

Open Wide

I’ve always been a writer. As I’ve told my cherubs countless times, I was inspired by my high school journalism teacher. She set me on a path that proved to be self-fulfilling. My career as a high school newspaper and yearbook adviser was, I think, inevitable.

The circle remains unbroken.

I try to inspire my journalistas. They, in turn, inspire me. And, I think, they keep me young.

I started blogging, as an outlet of sorts, two-and-a-half years ago. I’m not hard-core like, perhaps, my friend
Mama Kat, but I try to remain diligent. I used to post daily. When I felt comfortable enough to give myself permission, I’d miss the occasional day or two. In recent months, I’ve created a comfortable rhythm for myself.

I returned to daily blogging during the month of November for my annual foray with NaBloPoMo, and I have to say, folks, it nearly killed me.

But hyperbole aside, I know myself, I know what I’m good at. So here I am.

The Edublog Awards have rolled around again, and I’m told that I’ve been nominated. Having come in second in different categories the last two years, I know what it’s like to snatch, as they say, defeat from the jaws of victory. I’m hoping for a better outcome this time around, but also would like to share the wealth.

I’ve got two nominations to make this year. Both bloggers are students; both are young and enthusiastic; both have something to say, using different mediums to do so.

  • Best Student Blog: MOO Yes, she’s my chica, also known as Ella Numera Dos. She’s a college photography major, and the world is her canvas. MOO was Second Runner-Up in this Edublog Awards category last year. I believe she deserves more. She’s participating in Flickr’s Project 365 this year. That’s right, folks—posting a photo a day for an entire calendar year. I'm awful darn proud of her!

  • Best New Blog: One of my former journalistas, who is pursuing a writing career her own self. Ames writes about popular culture, mostly, or just about anything else that comes into her head. Her motto is “Write what you love.” She loves, she claims, “television, Virginia Woolf, Sweet Valley High, awkward moments, and liminal spaces.” I learned the word "liminal" from reading her blog bio. Yes, can teach an old dog new tricks!

I really think you should give these gals a look-see. And, of course, your vote, if they make the final cut. Nominations for the 2010 Edublog Awards close tomorrow; you’ll be able to vote through Tuesday, December 14. Awards will be conferred December 15.

Yes, that’s moi, hanging out in my classroom just yesterday. Perhaps I was speaking sternly to my cherubs, but with a twinkle in my eye. And come to think of it, I might possibly resemble William Shakespeare (take a gander at the image of the Bard, to the left of the white board). But I have no clue how to sing. Just write, methinks.


Krystal said...

Congrats on the nomination!!! The picture is hilarious to me :) And I will check out your students' blogs, how fun =)

yonca said...

Haha..Nice pic!:) Congrats on the nomination! Will come back and check out your students' sites.

Amy said...

You are the sweetest. Also, we should have coffee when I'm home later this month.

(And congrats on your nom!)

Jeanie said...

Whew, I thought you were speaking sternly to me....glad to know it was your students you were speaking to.
Congrats on the nomination.

Quasi Serendipita said...

Congratulations on your nomination!

Susie said...

Great nomination! Congrats on that!

blueviolet said...

Congratulations. Fantastic!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin