Tuesday, December 7, 2010


Please vote for The Scholastic Scribe
MOO in the 2010 Edublog Awards!


Endured another mindless inservice yesterday afternoon. The agenda? We were "tasked" (their word, not mine) to congregate in a basement computer lab for 50 minutes to learn about the newest bells and whistles offered by a site that our school district spent millions to acquire, but which doesn't give us more than a plug nickel of satisfaction on any given day.

The plan seemed inane, but since less than an hour's time was involved, I figured I could catch up with my e-mail if things got slow.

And, yes, they did. Get slow. As molasses frozen to the rump of a hippopotamus in the Arctic Circle.

OK, I've never heard that analogy before either, but you might possibly get my drift if I explain one more quick problema: The class was "taught" by a woman whose job it is to inform us of cutting-edge technological advances in the field of education.

Except she's really a former profesora de EspaƱol, who, I'm pretty sure, got out of the teaching biz because a) she was tired of the rug-rats; b) she wanted to make more dinero and/or c) no one was going to challenge her on her technological expertise because those in Central Administration aren't that tech-savvy, either.

I'd love to suffer through a tech-prep inservice just once in my career where I actually learn something.

This is how my afternoon went yesterday: First, the software didn't work. Then it did, but our teacher was going way too fast for the clientle. And she kept using complicated techie buzzwords like "this thingy" and "that doo-hickey." And on more than one occasion, she called the computer ~ or perhaps the software program, I'm not sure ~ an "idiot."

But her SmartBoard (they go for about $1,500 a pop, and Our Humble High School is equipped with dozens, but I haven't received a raise in two years) was pretty darn nifty. Bells and whistles will wow 'em every time, correctamundo?

The older teachers among us kept saying, "What? WHAT?" For my part, I looked up and smiled occasionally, and kept plugging away at my e-mail.

In her defense, our "teacher" only had a quick sec, in tech terms, to impart crucially important knowledge.

To coin another comparison, the session left me feeling more than a tad like Sisyphus, the king in Greek mythology who was condemned to roll the gigantic boulder uphill, only to have it roll back down the hill. Over and over and over again.

So much for "teacher training." And yes, I know The Scholastic Scribe is a family site, but the above graphic seemed oh so appropos, somehow.


Krystal said...

aahaha, oh my goodness. That sounds like a sad waste of time :( And horrible about not getting a raise in 2 years. shame on them.

Krystal said...

p.s. i've voted a couple times - can we do it everyday? keep reminding!:)

jabblog said...

Inservice days - and 'courses' - the most insulting thing was when the 'leader' treated us like a class of children and practised her (it was usually a woman) technique on us. I'm glad I don't have to endure any more - keep smiling (through gritted teeth!)

Amy said...

"Never interface with anything."

My boss's secretary keeps trying to convince me to take an ALL DAY Blackboard training class. I can't even imagine just how awful that would be -- especially when I've thus far figured out all I need to know in just a click (sometimes two).

Cheryl said...

I think the picture was appropos and it gave me a laugh so WIN WIN! This tale had me shaking my head all the way through except when I was laughing. Loved your new analogies. That molasses/rump one is a real humdinger.

Is it me or did that list of Teachers in the Edublog Awards grow longer after Dec 1st? Been meaning to ask.

Farmers Wifey said...

I voted for you on both..good luck. Now can I ask you to vote for me lolol on page 1 under Farmers Wifey..I'd be so grateful xx


Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

Good grief to all of it. Beyond ridiculous that you haven't had a raise, but they're bleeding cash on things like that.

Love the picture, and it is indeed appropriate!

Susie said...

It's sounds like your techie wasn't very prepared? It's a shame. The SMART boards in our district are really cool:-)

TortugaRachel said...

Oooo, I love SMARTboards!!! Of course, I never suffered an inservice on them, I'm mostly self taught. Holler if you need help with one, I promise I won't go too fast or use such tech terms, haha!

Oh, and you know I vote for you!!

Dishesdone said...

Poor you! That is terrible, what a waste! Thank goodness for gadgets!

Together We Save said...

Oh my.... sounds like such a waste of time!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope it gets better!

blueviolet said...

I feel sorry for you with the inservice days, but your students need those! LOL

Kristin said...

And the fact that you keep on keepin' on shows what an amazing person you are lady. Why we don't treat our teachers better I'll never know.

dkzody said...

I am going to copy your post's address and send it out to all my teacher buddies who have suffered through the exact same inservice, only across the country. We thought it was just us!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin