Saturday, December 11, 2010

Classroom Management 101


Should I throw the book at her?

Over 16+ years at Our Humble High School, I've learned a thing or two about classroom management. CM, of course, is the euphemistic, "professional," teacher-type term for knowing when to kick a kid to the curb for violating decorum in Room 215.

One of the points in my favor is that I know many of my cherubs over time. That means they enter my Journalism Program just wet behind the ears as 14-year-old froshies. I then have the privilege of watching them mature into sober-thinking young adults. Although I have to say that even the most mature 18-year-old can act like a 5-year-old, at times.

Case-in-point: One of my senior journalistas has been acting up as of late. She's always been a little, as we educators say, "spirited." The fact is she's afflicted with a double dose of ADHD, and she certainly marches to the beat of her own drummer. But this year she's seriously out-of-control. She works when she wants to, and plays all of the time.

Let's just put it this way: If there's ever a disruption in Room 215, this lovely young woman probably has something to do with it. Music blaring from the PC; video games going 24/7; large guffawing and carrying on. Baiting timid kids into acting out themselves. And recently, smart-mouthing the teacher, on top of everything else.

But attachment, in my case, has made the heart grow fonder. Said cherub started doing her work, after a fashion, yesterday. She's probably just kissing up. And she's gotten on my last nerve, with all her carrying-on.

Should I throw the book at her?

PS: The Superior Snap is from Ella Numera Dos, who is running a strong race in the 2010 Edublog Awards Competition. If you have a minute, please Click Here to vote for MOO as Best Student Blog. And while you're at it, please Click Here to vote for The Scholastic Scribe as Best Teacher Blog. Thank you for your support!


Cheryl said...

I go right into serious mode when I hear this kind of thing. The questions start with "Is she using drugs or alcohol?" and end with a string of "What's going on with her (fill in the blank)?

Merisi said...

Thank God for teachers like you! :-)

Tara R. said...

If this is out of character for her, makes you wonder what is going on that you can't see or don't know about. Could be something is off at home?

Sarah said...

It depends on what type of book. It it's the big book of birds that recently got auctioned off at Sotheby then yes, it may work.

Dishesdone said...

Not easy! I give you a lot of credit for patience! Maybe throw a soft cover book? :)

Great shot, love the picture!

Kristin said...

Maybe she'll calm down after the holidays?

silver star said...

It would depend on the book, picture books probably wouldn't be effective, large novels could get you in trouble for leaving bruises behind, so look for a book in between and go for it! Thanks for stopping by my 6WS!

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

Incredible! You're definitely a patience...apart from all your great teaching qualities.
Love the photo.

Big hugs!
B xx

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

Ooops! I meant to say"'re def. a teacher of great patience". x

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

You're the's great to know of your concern and kindness. Keep it up. We need more teachers like you.

Thanks for visiting yesterday. I do hope your weekend is going well.

Finding Words said...

Why are the answers never easy?!

StarTraci said...

I kept thinking -- "In with the good air, out with the bad air". My mom was a teacher and I am always thankful for teachers with patient hearts.

And yes, I voted for you! Woo hoo!


Krystal said...

still crossing my fingers for your contest :)

Christy said...

sigh...that's tough. I never know quite what to do with those kiddos. I have sophomores, so I always assume simply idiocy, but seniors are in a different class. Combine that with Christmas and all bets are off. Good luck.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin