Monday, December 13, 2010

The Christmas Shoes

Tuesday is the last day to vote for The Scholastic Scribe
and MOO in the 2010 Edublog Awards...Thanks!

The Christmas Shoes

Every time I hear that maudlin little holiday song, about the boy and his ailing mama and the shoes, I exercise my prerogative to change the station on the car radio.

The "socks" I prefer hearken back to happier times. Our first married Christmas, and Mr. Fairway's Aunt Eileen, who crocheted us a pair of beautiful stockings.

The chili pepper lights that hang from the fireplace came all the way from Texas with us when we moved to DC. These Christmas socks inspire real memories. I pity the poor person who has to conjur Christmas in a commercial endeavor.


Susie said...

That song gets me every time! I want a hippopotamus for Christmas:-)

Stephanie Faris said...

That's so funny...just today we were at Backyard Burgers and that Christmas shoe song was on. I said to my husband, "Nothing says Christmas spirit like a song about a boy with a mom dying of cancer, begging someone to give him a pair of shoes to give her." I LOATHE that song. It's so depressing.

Tracy P. said...

Ditto!! Ugh!

Cheryl said...

I'm not even sure which song that is. I do love the stockings. My mom made each of us one. When I married, I made one for my husband. Not knit: white cotton trimmed with a red topper and embroidered name down the front.

Maria said...

I'm not familiar with the song but those stockings are really cute.

Maria @ LSS

Sarah said...

Love those chili lights. Where can I find some?

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm with Sarah--I want the chili lights.

Tara R. said...

I'm lovin' the chili pepper lights.

I don't think I've heard that Christmas shoe song.

Nance said...

So many people bitch about that song, and I've never heard it.
(Not that I want to.)
My list of hated Christmas songs is long and illustrious. Don't get me started...!

jijie said...

Hello! Visiting here

Happy Holidays!
newest follower ,pls. follow me back
:) Thank you.


Hey Melissa! Lovely to meet you! and thank you so much for you fabulous comment on our blog! Cute stocking and lights!! Don't think I've ever heard this song, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to! lol..

Anonymous said...

Is there anymore information you can give on this subject. It answers a lot of my questions but there is still more info I need. I will drop you an email if I can find it. Never mind I will just use the contact form. Hopefully you can help me further.

- Robson

miss jo said...

Xmas nostalgia is the best ! Your stockings make me want to crochet or knit again.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin