Thursday, November 18, 2010

What You Crave


What You Crave

I was having a fast-food flashback the other day, and remembered this snap from my trip to Asbury Park, NJ.

When I was a wee one, my extended familia resided in South Florida. My uncle would pile the kids in the car and take us out for burgers. We mostly grazed on Burger King, which was near his home in Coral Gables. But every so often, if we whined long enough and loud enough, he'd head on up the road a piece to White Castle.

I distinctly remember the tiny, square (definitely pre-Wendy's) burgers on the bread that was more like a Parker House Roll than a hamburger bun. And no, I didn't make the Parker House comparison as an 8-year-old. That came later, when I actually visited Boston and dined at that hotel so well-known for its Thanksgiving-like rolls.

At any rate, White Castle had sliders before sliders were known as sliders. And my older cousin, Douglas, could eat about a million of them right out of the bag on the way home.

I'm wondering, though. Am I having a memory spasm or did all of this really happen? I distinctly remember dining on White Castle with my Uncle and cousins. In South Florida. And Douglas gobbling up the goodies on the way home in the ancient family station wagon.

One of my colleagues, who's familiar with all things FLA, tells me there are no White Castles in the Sunshine State. I Googled it, just to make sure, and apparently she's right.

So, the question remains: Did I really eat at White Castle on those long-ago family trips down south, or was it only a dream?

And this snap wasn't shot near the boardwalk in Asbury Park. We stopped for some sliders 'n' fries in Freehold, home to Springsteen and~I reckon~at least one White Castle.

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Stop it! You're making me hungry. Which isn't hard to do, really.

Lucy said...

Gosh, I have a White Castle story or two from my youth but I am pretty sure they are real (LOL)

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

I've never eaten at a White Castle, but I hear about them all the time. I have memories like that too (whats left of them, in relation to my last post!) - maybe your memories are mixed together and it happened, only not WHERE you thought it happened. It happens... ;)

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never been to White Castle!

jwg said...

The first time my husband took my son to White Castle my son accused him of trying to poison him. I, on the other hand, remember them fondly.

Jenny the Pirate said...

We lived in Fort Lauderdale when I was a kid. White Castles were definitely a rare and much-desired treat. I loved the bread. I could use about six of those right now.

miss jo said...

Don't recall the White Castles, but remember Douglas gobbling up everything, including the early 1960s BK burgers that were awesome.....Perhaps your memory wires are crossing with college and consuming White Castle in St. Louis ?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin