Monday, November 1, 2010

Trick ~ or Treat?

A League of Their Own

I don't do Halloween. But I did do Halloween last Friday.

The English Department at Our Humble High School loves to dress up every year. We "theme" our costumes. Two years ago, we did Harry Potter. I was at the beach. Last year, we did fairy tales. I was in Wisconsin. This year, we did TV Land ~ ie, retro-television shows.

I volunteered to be Laverne, Penny Marshall's character on "Laverne & Shirley."

My costume evolved, I guess you could say. I did find a Laverne-esque T-shirt ~ you can see the faux-monogrammed "L" peaking out from underneath my letter jacket. The flowered capris? Oh, I acquired them from a thrift store a few years back. Likewise, the funky socks They seemed like something Laverne might wear.

But then temps dropped overnight. I woke up with chattering teeth and an outside thermometer that read 36 degrees.

When I added the letter jacket ~ also acquired at a thrift store, for 10 bucks, no less ~ to my ensemble, my costume morphed. I'd like to say this is a cross between Laverne and "A League of Their Own" ~ the fabulous flick directed by ~ you guessed it ~ Penny Marshall.

Don't ask about the backwards baseball cap and the shades. I was feeling "gangsta" that morning. One of my hip cherubs actually said, "Mrs. Scribe, you're so G!"

And yes, this snap is going in the Yearbook. A couple of decades down the road, I'd love for my grandkids to stumble upon this iconic image while rooting around in the basement some rainy afternoon. Wouldn't you?

Editor's Note: This is my first entry for NaBloPoMo, also known as National Blog Posting Month. Their motto? "30 Posts in 30 Days," but of course!

18 comments:

Amy said...

Doin' it our way?

quilly said...

You look like a causality from a thrift store explosion -- but in a good sort of way. ;)

miss jo said...

This is a fabulous photo, for eternity ! Dude, it looks like you just parked your surfboard in the hallway and you've got this new hip hop tune to burn.....You've always been chill, sees !

Jeanie said...

Laverne/gangsta pic for posterity. I love it.

blueviolet said...

I love it! You are too much!

mama-face said...

Gangsta Laverne. Way to keep it current. :) You look/looked awesome.

Susie said...

That's a treat! Eye-candy:-)

Tortuga said...

I think it's the giant orange earrings that bring the whole ensemble together!

BLOGitse said...

Great start for you NaBloPoMo month!
I'll do that maybe in January again...I've done it twice on my photoblog...

Debbie said...

How fun! That is great that you all do a theme.

Tara R. said...

Yo Laverne! Great outfit, Penny would be proud.

Lucy said...

Love it and your grand kids will be coming up with all kinds of stories I bet, to explain the picture unless you label it (LOL)

Cheryl said...

Quilly said it best. You're so G!

Dishesdone said...

Very cool. Eclectic cool :)

Serene @ MomFood said...

Wow. :-)

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

I LOVE iT!
Wow!

B xx

Jenners said...

This is quite the get-up ... I didn't quite get Laverne from it but I was amused!

Allyson said...

Oh TREAT!!! Definitely Treat! I love Halloween and was "treated" to all Savannah had to offer. And the ones where people create their own - like you did - are hands down the BEST! I remember Laverne kind of. That show came on after school and it coincided with "Growing Pains." Kirk got way more attention than Penny did. Care to share what the other teachers went as for Flashback Television?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin