Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ode to Summer, and a Hummer




Ode to Summer, and a Hummer

We "fell back" yesterday,
but, hey...
I want my summer back.

The time of year
when I don't fear
a little sun. Or some fun.

When days are hot
and sticky, not
this weird in-between, whack

weather. When humidity's
not a stranger, to me
nor any of my young-uns.

Those of the child variety
and those who, like me,
flutter with a certain knack.

Like this hummer.
I want my summer
back.


I've been thinking about a special poetry place for a good, long while. I don't know if I'm ready to launch a full-out rhyming assault, but I think it would be nice to have a corner to share lines like this every so often. Do y'all ever feel the "muse"? If so, please send me a note and I'll see about setting up a way for us all to keep in touch.

In the meantime, enjoy my summertime hummer. She and her friends were coming fairly regularly by the end of the season to my backyard feeder. Keeping the Bottle Tree and Alicia company, as it were.

15 comments:

quilly said...

Tonight, sitting in front of the roaring fire place, I wished for the return of summer. My front was roasting and my back was chilled. so will go the next several months ...

I joined your Poetry Slam with a a tribute to fall ...

citymouse said...

Excellent idea. I haven't written poetry in forever and probably could use the challenge. I'd have to do it another day though, since I already have a standing Tuesday feature: Tunes I Like Tuesday.

I'm in Maryland so we are a little slower than some states to embrace the changing weather. It's the time change I hate the most. I long for the endless days of summer already.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

My wisp of a contribution can be found huddled by a lakeshore.

Allyson said...

I joined in! Try a New Food Tuesdays has taken a little hiatus since the commissary at Ft. Lee is just a little less stellar than the one at Robins AFB. Thanks for the idea! I will start turning over next Tuesday's masterpiece in my head now. And going to check out these other poems from your comments!

Susie said...

Beautiful!

StarTraci said...

I tried a little poetry in honor of you today. I love your ode to summer. It's gone, what a bummer! (Sorry, I couldn't resist the rhyme!)
:-)
Traci

Yankee Girl said...

Great poem!

I want my summer back too....though I like curling up on the couch in front of the fire, it doesn't beat all of the wonderful things that summer brings.

I wrote my own poem too!

Tracy P. said...

She's beautiful. We have had the most gorgeous fall, so I would be ungrateful to write a summer lament. YET.

Poetry is nowhere near the surface of my psyche--definitely not available to be called up on demand. Sadly. I'll just come over and enjoy yours!

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

Oh my word, that is a breathtakingly beautiful photo and the poem is really wonderful.
Thanks for sharing it!

Have a good day!

Big hugs!
B xx

Krystal said...

I am totally with your poem :)

Kristy said...

I really liked it! I thought it was...whimsical.

Lucy said...

I love Summer Days too and I wish I could write poetry. I gave it a try tonight but it was more a sing songy thingy than poetry. Oh, well, I think I need to go back to English class to brush up on how to write Poetry again.

Here is my link if you dare:

http://www.lucysreality.com/2010/11/creepers-jeepers/

Mozi Esme said...

I'm missing summer, too!

Thanks for the poetry inspiration:
http://glistener.blogspot.com/2010/11/cataloging-my-blog.html

carma said...

sorry I missed poetry day...

Excellent poem - and I agree with the sentiment - yesterday I had to take out the reflector vest to go for my evening walk - boo!

Jenners said...

I miss my hummers too!!

I was sick all this week so I wasn't feeling very poetic but if it ever strikes me, I'll join in.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin