Friday, November 26, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside




Baby, It's Cold Out There

Woke up this morning to 15 degrees above and overcast skies. Yes, I realize that Winter is on its way, but when my vehicle's doors wouldn't open on Thanksgiving night without a little extra tug (yes, car doors sometimes freeze shut here in the Upper Midwest), I realized why I'm not a permanent resident of the Dairy State.

Tea-Partiers will tell you that "out here" the folks are friendly, they're honest and they're always willing to help. True, but Our Nation's Capital has one up on the hinterlands. Thanksgiving in DC, the city those folks love to hate, usually hangs around the 60s, and in some cases has busted out into the 80s for Turkey Day. Yesterday when I took my pre-dinner stroll, DC's temps were about 50 degrees warmer than the canyons of Madison's State Street.

I'm headed back today into chillier-than-normal temps, I'm told. But tomorrow, when the rest of La Familia Scribe is braving the crowds and the cold (highs in the mid-30s) at the University of Wisconsin-Northwestern game, I'll be snuggled up with Pepper the Cat and a batch of student papers. The above snap, BTW, features a reflection of the weather in the campus building next door to historic Camp Randall Stadium.

There's no place like home, correctamundo?

13 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

A cold sky reflected in cold glass...brrr!


O Sky!

Tracy P. said...

Ya, you betcha! Our thermostat battery quit in the middle of the night, and it was 56ยบ this morning. Uff da!

Sylvia K said...

Great reflection! We've had such cold, snowy weather it's been hard to get out to take pictures. I'm glad you were able to get such a terrific one for the day! Have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Pseudo said...

It's windy and cold here too. 72 degrees, and the news is saying it might drop down to 68 at night. Like we might even close our windows ; -)

Cheryl said...

Nice shot of the cold harsh tundra.

I love Madison in spring and fall. It's so damn beautiful. I'd stay away in winterish or summerish time. Too cold. Too hot. No ocean.

quilly said...

I've been singing your title all week. It was 17 degrees here for 3 days. I have photos (up on my blog) of hummingbirds shivering in snow. The Humming birds are here because generally our lowest winter temp is 40F.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

We had beautiful Thanksgiving weather (68 and sunny) but today is rain and the temp is dropping. Good thing we did all of our outdoor activities yesterday.

So glad I do not live in the land of "frozen car doors" and worse. I love to visit those regions but feel put upon if I can't scamper out the sidewalk barefooted to get the morning paper!

Greyscale Territory said...

The reflections means chilly, bleak weather, beautifully frozen in the window frame!

Springman said...

Good Lord this is a chilly reflection!

lotusleaf said...

I am feeling deliciously cold here at 18C when I look at your photo.

theimaginativetraveler said...

I can identify with this gray November sky reflection! We have a great many days like that here in Vancouver, unfortunately...LOL!

lizziviggi said...

No place like home, certainly... but you've made me very glad we only visit the family in Wisconsin in the summer! I much prefer fireflies and thunderstorms to sub-zero temps and cars that don't start.

James said...

This is my favorite time of the year. I like cold weather so much better than hot. :) Very nice shot. I like the way the square panes break up the reflection.

p.s. I've never been to NYC during the parade but I plan to see the Christmas decorations next month. Cats are great for snuggling and keeping warm. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin