Monday, October 11, 2010

Under My Umbrella

Under My Umbrella

I snapped this Sunday night, not long after the sun went down but light still lingered on Currituck Sound, the placid body of water that separates North Carolina's Outer Banks ~ fragile barrier islands that cling to the angry Atlantic ~ from the mainland.

For some reason, this cafe umbrella at the OBX fish taco joint in the Town of Duck was all askew ~ or whompy-jawed, as my Tejas forebears might have said. I seized the moment to capture the image, because the moment seemed right.

I'm headed back to "civilization" today. For the record, I didn't get any grading done over my long weekend. I swam in the ocean (yes, with air temps hovering near 80, Mama Atlantica didn't give me the cold shoulder), walked on the beach, napped in a rusty aluminum and canvas folding chair, and watched eight episodes of last season's "Brothers & Sisters."

I can't stay up late on Sunday nights, so have gotten in the habit of acquiring the previous season of said show in September, and watching it in a sort of Sally Field Marathon.

I stopped at a favorite North Carolina BBQ place on my way in; will order to-go from another on my way out. And I plan to be back in December, when winter will fleck the dunes with frost and the only birds to greet me will be the seagulls, who never seem to leave this place.

15 comments:

blueviolet said...

What? You were here in North Carolina? WOW!!! Where's this fabulous BBQ place I need to know about?

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

Wow, what a stunning shot, Melissa!

Happy Monday!
B xx

Lindsay {Designer Wife} said...

Lovely, lovely photo! I adore the OBX :)

June Freaking Cleaver said...

Since I moved to the Midwest, I wonder when I'll get to see the coast/shore/beach (dependent upon which area you're from) again.

Thanks for the great pic - somehow I don't think I'll see a similar scene at the Mississippi River.

If you could bottle up the salt air, and the sound of the waves, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheryl said...

OBX hear me call. So glad you got a weekend away.

BLOGitse said...

Beautiful!
I'm happy you were able to relax...
Have a good week ahead!
I'm back in Casablanca tonight...

Jeanie said...

Very beautiful picture.
Brothers and Sisters is one of the few TV shows that I watch these days.

Allyson said...

Oh Melissa...this picture is beautiful!! And it is photos like this that get me through those long snowy winters in KY....just knowing that it's there and waiting for me to return. It sounds like you had a wonderful (if not long enough) weekend. I hope reality was not too harsh.

Amy said...

I can't think of a more perfect night than eastern NC bbq and hours upon hours of Sally Field.

Susie said...

Gorgeous!!

Tara R. said...

Beautiful capture. So peaceful.

Joann Mannix said...

Beautiful picture. I'm glad you didn't get any work done. That's what weekends away are for. My hubs took me away for a writing weekend, about a month ago, to finish up some things on my novel. Unfortunately, he took us to the Ritz Carlton where the champagne was free flowing. I do love champagne. Nothing much got done. And it was good, very good.

I am a Florida girl and my favorite time at the beach is the winter.

Sarah said...

Ahhh..beautimous!

Krystal said...

i hope you're not worrying about not getting work done - the weekend sounds worth it :)

Jeanie said...

So beautiful. Lovely photo. And aren't NC/SC BBQ places the best?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin