Monday, October 18, 2010

Here's Pie in Your Eye

Snickers Brownie Pie

La Familia Scribe does love a good pie. In fact, one could say that we Scribes are fully invested in the Power of Pie. Which is why I didn't bat an eyelash when my youngest asked for some pie-baking implements. Sort of a care package sans the baked goodies.

Knowing pies don't transport well through the US Mail, she just wanted the implements to bake said goodies her own self.

So, her mamasita went to work. First into the care package box? Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie, by Ken Haedrich. Not being a "pie expert" myself, I Googled and this tome came highly recommended. Amazon dubs this the "big book with the shortest possible title." I figured that with so many recipes, Ella would be able to dabble a tad, before she got bored.

Next, I included what I would term "pie essentials." Rolling pin. Measuring cups and spoons. The little do-hickey thingy that helps one blend the Crisco and the flour together in the making of the crust. She informed me that she already had pie plates and mixing bowls, acquired from the local thrift store, so she was soon ready to embark on her tasty adventure.

And what has she wrought from the box I so carefully taped and addressed and sent off to college one week ago? Well, so far, three "exotic" (by my modest standards, anyway) pies, and a blog, to boot. Yes, she's the one with the photoblog...so now she has a blog dessert, as well.

Entitled Power of Pie, my chica's newest contribution to the blogosphere is a how-to, what-if, and can-do kind of esoteric ramble. A college kid experimenting, in a good way, and writing down her mistakes ~ and her successes ~ along the way.

Some recent tidbits, besides the Rasberry Crumb, the Five-Spice Pear Apple and the Snickers Brownie (pictured above) offerings? Well, some well-considered advice. Remember that the T stands for tablespoon...Tsp is one-third of that. Also, there's a big diff between one-and-a-half tablespoons and one-and-a-half cups. And one parting shot: Too much sugar decidedly does not spoil a crust...just makes it a tad sweeter!

My youngest tells me that she's not eating all these pies herself. Just baking them, photographing them, blogging about them and then sharing them. And I know for a fact her friend JR was not disappointed. You reckon?


JR LOVES Pie!

15 comments:

Krystal said...

that is toooo cute that she's so interested in pies!

blueviolet said...

She's going to make a lot of tummies happy over the years!

faerwillow said...

~i just came back from her blog and oh goodness that 5 spice pear pie...me can't wait to try!! such a wonderful mama you are to fill her with such goodness...sending her off some treasures to get her baking away...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Jeanie said...

I am a believer in the power of pie. Your Chica is going to make a lot of people happy. I am off to visit her blog.

Susie said...

That's how I started my blog...experimenting:-)

Kristin said...

What a killer idea for a blog! If there's pie...I'm in!

yonca said...

Looking at the pics on her blog make me want some pie:) Follow her now.

Julie M. said...

Very cool! I keep hoping at least one of my kids will take to cooking and baking the way I did. I can't wait to check out her blog!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I bet she is immensely popular - nothing could draw in college students like homemade pie!

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

How great for her! That's terrific! I avoid baking, because I don't want to be the size of a house... I have no will power.

And woohoo, that is one very nice looking young man, too ;)

Serene said...

Aww, what a good mom. :-)

miss jo said...

Yum. Pie....More pie, please ! A beautiful blog the chica has baked up.

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

How lovely that she's so interesting in pies!

B xx

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

What a great idea for a blog!
Bxx

Allyson said...

I'm always jealous of someone who can make a really good pie. It's kind of like when I watch "Chocolat"...I think "I could TOTALLY bake my way into everyone's hearts." And then I start and it ends shortly thereafter. I love the blog name and am truly impressed by the creation of a good pie. I'm also in awe of her will power, because if I mastered the art of baking pies, I would weigh approximately 4 tons. It's always better to share.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin