Thursday, August 19, 2010

We've Come a Long Way, Baby...

Avast, Ye Scallywags!


Dear Mom:

After spending some time with you and Daddy this summer, we've got a lot to account for. We've decided to make a few "Summer Resolutions" by way of apology.

10. We're getting older, but not always wiser. We promise to call you next time we go out and don't come home at the appointed time. We don't want Daddy waking up at 2 a.m. in a cold sweat, dialing our cellies, and telling us what irresponsible imbeciles we are. Ever again.

9. We've learned a lot at school, but don't always remember our manners, which we learned from you when we were wee ones. When we finish dinner, or even just a glass of juice, we promise to ferry the detritus not only to the sink, but also under the running faucet and into the dishwasher, as well.

8. We've come a long way since learning how to ride our bikes in elementary school, but don't always handle our cars with safety in mind. If we go on a road trip, we promise to drive the speed limit. And if an officer of the law stops us for failure to obey that limit, we promise to call you promptly, and not several months later when the DMV catches up with us.

7. We're really good at zoning out, but not too good at listening. We promise to pay attention when you remind us of something important, and not to treat you like a silly old lady for "repeating yourself again, Mom."

6. We know that time is often of the essence, but that's no reason to twist our heads around on our necks just like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist." The computer failing to print does not signify the end of the world, after all. If we can't get the dang resume to print, we promise to go to Kinko's, OK?

5. We learned before we could speak that talking to strangers is a bad idea. And that goes for at the playground, in the Starbucks, or on a pirate ship in the Cayman Islands.

4. We've always been able to confide in you, and have to remember that just because we're almost grown up, you're still here for us. We promise never again to tell you something's "fine" when it isn't.

3. We now know that just because one of us has a GPS in her car doesn't mean that we'll always arrive at our destination without a few wrong turns. We promise to call the next time we get lost, and always to remember that DC's Capitol Hill neighborhood involves both the US Capitol and a really, really big hill.

2. We've noticed, over the years, that both our parents are quite well-informed. If either you or Daddy wants to watch the news on the good TV, you should be able to do so. We promise either to switch channels or to move to the basement when you want to watch your "shows." Hey, maybe we could even learn a thing or two!

1. We promise to remain good kids, and to continue to be true to the values you taught us. We know you love us very much. We love both of you even more...

Still Your Daughters,
Ella Numera Una & Ella Numera Dos

32 comments:

The Empress said...

This is so sweet, and I can tell that you became misty eyed while doing it.

Beautiful.

Pseudo said...

I think that is the letter my children have been meaning to write as well....

Tortuga said...

Dreaming again, Scribe?

Rabia Sensei said...

Don't worry too much Mom =D

Cheryl said...

A woman and her dreams are a beautiful thing to behold.

blueviolet said...

You've been a great mom, and if they must grow up and leave, at least they're picking up some tidbits for the future.

gaelikaa said...

It's nice to see how they see things - step into their shoes for a while....well done...

Jackie said...

I bet that one day your kids will really say those things! If they don't actually say them they will think it.... I know this because as I've gotten older I've learned that while they were annoying my parents were right.

Julieu M. said...

That was great. Hopefully they'll read it and take it to heart. I can tell your heart was definitely in your words when you wrote it. Beautiful!

HappyChyck said...

I'm sure your daughters will get a kick out of that--but I'm sure they would also agree to some of the resolutions.

Andrea said...

Awwww! So sweet! I wish I could get my husband to do number 9. His idea of cleaning the kitchen is putting everything in the sink.

Tara R. said...

That is awesome! I need to print a copy of this and have my own nina and nino sign it.

faerwillow said...

~oh yes...especially #9...my sister and i were just discussing my dishes problem!! and as for the tv...gggrrr....the rest i hope to receive such words in the future...this was brilliantly written and ever so sweet...i hope all is well with you and life is being only kind in your day to day...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Nance said...

Sigh. IF. ONLY. (Says the Maman of two Fils who moved out this summer. Each time one of them comes over, even for an hour, he leaves a "trail" for me to erase.)

Susie said...

Every Mommy's dream letter:-)

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

Love this :) I think your kids are absolutely, terrifically normal, and not half bad either, my friend. How could they be, with a mom like you? You have very little to worry about I think! I also love that I knew about some of what was alluded to in the letter due to previous posts.

This was a great read :)

Ava said...

My daughter is entering her second year of college and I know she has been trying to verbalize this same stuff to me. She has a better idea now of what being an adult is like but yet she still is a kid herself.

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I know I turned around and said a lot of these things to my folks. I'm definitely coming to appreciate them.

Angelia Sims said...

This most definitely sounds like my 16yr old. How do we even survive these years? ;-D

Loved the sweet way it was written.

yonca said...

What a sweet letter and great way to express their feelings and thoughts.

Saretta said...

Hmmm, now wouldn't that be the letter that every mother dreams of receiving? I do hope it materializes for you! :-)

Sarah said...

I was going to say all daughters in the world should read this, but then I remembered that I didn't (or did) do several of these things myself. Never mind.

Krystal said...

this is such a fun idea :)definitely keeps you conscious of what you want to be as parents :)

Jeanie said...

Growing up is hard...I just don't know who it is harder for-kids or parents. Take my word, they do get there.

Jenners said...

I loved this!! If only they read it and decided to take it all to heart, right?

P.S. I dread my child getting older. It seems that they can do lots more things!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Man, your kids are so thoughtful and deep!

ournextchapters.com said...

Very sweet... I hope our daughter writes like that...

Tracy P. said...

Love it. They know.

miss jo said...

Always good to reflect, set goals and be thankful for having superb parents!! Very sweet too....Sounds like Ella2 is already an adult !

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

What a sweet and touching post!
What a great mom you are, Melissa!!

Big hugs,
B xx

adriel, from the mommyhood memos said...

oh, i love this melissa! you're a great writer and i look forward to seeing what other treasures you come out with. :)

Evangeline said...

Hi Melissa, I really loved this post. It is so true and as a teen, I could identify with many of the things in the list. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin