Thursday, August 5, 2010

Take a "Time Out" at Georgetown Cupcake


DC Cupcakes

As a young mother, I really wasn't ever one for "time out." With at least one willful child, I didn't have the inclination, the time, nor the patience.

Hence, my oldest (the sister of Miss Willful), thought of "Time Out" as a magical place, sort of like nap time, with all the quiet, but none of the sleeping (How many years must one attain to realize that there is no shame in napping?). Her friends got to sit in "time out" all the time. So when, on the rare occasion, I chose to use this as a punishment, I was rewarded with quiet children, who in no way thought they were being punished.

"Time out" became synonymous with going to one's "happy place." Even now, one of my almost-grown daughters will turn to me on occasion and say, "I think I'm going to put myself in time out."

If you're interested in finding a sweet spot, I've got just the place for you.

You've probably seen TLC's summer show, "DC Cupcakes." It features sisters Sophie and Katherine, who leave the fast track and all the stress that professional DC has to offer, to open a designer cupcake bakery in trendy Georgetown. But this isn't just another yuppy place to meet and greet, or a tale of leaving the fast life behind to rake in big bucks pursuing one's passion (although I'm sure there is quite a bit of buck-raking going on here).

Georgetown Cupcake is a perfect location for a proper adult "time out."

Ella Numera Dos and I made a maiden voyage down to the bakery last week, in search of dessert for the young one's 20th B-day. She and her friend, JR, returned on Monday to pick up two dozen of Sophie and Katherine's cupcakes to serve at the celebration.

Yes, the Cupcake Queens were working the counter when the kids walked in. And I'm pleased to report that these entrepreneurs are just as pleasant and enthusiastic and down-to-earth as they appear to be on their TLC show. They posed for pictures with JR and Ella, and even had a quasi-lengthy conversation with them.

I've lived in DC for 20+ years, so I'm pretty numb to celebrity-sightings. But I can tell you why TLC picked up "DC Cupcakes" for its Fall season. You can just taste the "nice" in their product. And that's a quality you can take to the bank. Or, to the "time out" stairs, if you wish.

21 comments:

Saretta said...

Cupcakes, oh my! Mmmmmm!

Cheryl said...

I love what you did with this prompt. I wish there were time outs when I was a kid. Oh, the zoning out I could do...

Lucy said...

"Time out" wasn't used a lot in my house either!

Gosh, just what I need, to check out another Reality Show (LOL)

confused homemaker said...

Mmmm...time outs & cupcakes...Now to wipe the drool off my keyboard ;)

I've caught the show on TV & glad to hear the ladies are nice in person too. I also love watching family businesses, meshing the two is really interesting.

Jeanie said...

I haven't seen the show, but the place sounds wonderful. Anything that involves cupcakes has to be good.

Bethany @ Organic Enchilada said...

I need a good cupcake place! DC is way too far for me though. :)

Great idea for time out!

Kristin @ Ellie-Town said...

Yum! I could use a time out right about now. ;)

Thanks for stopping by ellie-town!

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

It would take me about 9 hours to get there, and while I'm sure it would be worth it (except where my scale is concerned) I think I need a time out place a bit closer to home.

I never used Time Outs as a punishment either... unless you count yelling "GO TO YOUR ROOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!" a time out. Me neither.

I seriously want to give myself a time out. A week on a beach should do it.

Jenners said...

Oh ... I agree!! Adult time out places should definitely include cupcakes! I need a time out right now!

Tricia said...

That is awesome. I love me some cupcakes. Ohhh no must resist... Thanks for visiting my blog.

Lesley said...

We LOVE that show! Cupcakes are wonderful because you get just enough yummy goodness without the temptation of the eating another piece of cake. We have a local joint called "Frost Bake Shoppe"...and, sweet Lord of ALL that is holy, those are some DAMN good cupcakes!

I did a time out piece for WW, too. :)

louisebah said...

My mother never used 'time-out' on us either. She just used the belt, or stick or whatever was handy. lol.

Rachel Cotterill said...

Yum yum yum :D

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I love that show and I LOVE yummy cupcakes!

The Blonde Duck said...

I have to watch the show now.

The Empress said...

cupcakes. cupcakes any time.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

My friends and I have gone their a few times - I had no idea they had their own reality show, that's crazy!

Krystal said...

thanks for your nice comment on my guest post at krysten's blog!!
switzerland does not do cupcakes, it's weird, i never see them...sad!

Susie said...

Cupcake people are just like that:-)

Nappi said...

Somewhere in the early teens 'napping' becomes very acceptable. Until that point expect to be mocked if you nap, or if your name sugests you nap...

Kristin said...

Sweetness CAN be the secret to success!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin