Tuesday, August 3, 2010

So...What Happens Then?

What Happens Then?

When I was a but a wee one, all I wanted to do was write. The same can be said of me today.

At the ripe old age of 10, I told my Nana that I was going to be a "book-writer." Well, my life didn't quite turn out that way. I've thought, from time to time, that I should sit down and try to write that first novel, but my life kept getting in the way.

Over the years, though, I've done some "writing." I majored in Journalism in college, and worked for two big-city newspapers and one college-town rag. I interned in NYC for a reputable mass-circulation mag. I worked for a DC trade association (euphemism for "lobbyist") and as a spokesperson for three politicians.

I kept writing in my blood, becoming a high school Journalism and English teacher 16 years ago. And, of course, I started this space, The Scholastic Scribe, in 2008.

All of this as prelude to an exciting writing endeavor, which launches today. It's entitled "and what happens then," and is a collaborative effort of 21 bloggers. The project is the brainchild of Tara R., Bloggess Extraordinaire over at If Mom Says OK.

"Back in 1996, I read a book titled Naked Came the Manatee," Tara R. wrote in her original post inviting the blogging world to join her. "What made this mystery thriller unique was that it had 13 different authors. Each writing a separate chapter. Dave Barry opened the tale and Carl Hiaasen wrapped it up in the final chapter. In-between Elmore Leonard, Edna Buchanan and many more added their voices. The book was originally published as a serial in the Miami Herald’s Tropic Magazine."

Tara R. thought that if the pros could do it, we amateur writers could, too.

"I would love to do something like that," she said, "inviting different bloggers to write an ongoing story, adding characters, killing them off, using their prowess in dialog and storytelling, interjecting humor or dark themes."

Well, Tara R., you've done it. Chapter One, which will premiere today, is Tara's own creation. I wrote Chapter Two. Tara says she's got three chapters in hand right now, with the fourth on its way.

I'm super-excited about this enterprise. Of course, the project could turn into a mishmash, as different styles, ideas and approaches get in the way. But I prefer to think of the effort as a gumbo of creativity. A bit spicy, with subtle, sophisticated roux holding it all together.

Please tune in today to "and what happens then." Comment, critique, suggest, propose. Tweet about our enterprise. Form a Facebook group, a fan page. And, above all, please thank Tara R. Without her vision, we'd be flying blind.

16 comments:

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

WOW! That's so exciting!!!! Can't wait to read it all :D Kudos for doing something you always knew you would.

Cheryl said...

Exciting news for y'all. This is how Polite Fictions started. It's great fun to read all the styles, the twists, and hysterics that ensue.

Bekah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. This is such an exciting venture! My blog is (or will be, after my re-launch on Monday) about finding your personal expression of creativity. I would love to stay in touch about a future feature!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Wow so exciting, congrats!

Sarah said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Good for all the bloggers that participated. Will check it out soon.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Oh my goodness I'm excited - I've also been meaning to track down and read that book for years!

Well, at least I'll get the blogger version!

The Blonde Duck said...

How cool!

Caitlin said...

I will check it out. I also always wanted to grow up to write books...hasn't happened yet but I am forever grateful for everything I learned in your classes and for every piece I wrote for the school newspaper. Good on you for taking on a new challenge!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

How often will we see a new chapter?

Tara R. said...

Thank you for the shout out! I appreciate the support and am thrilled you are writing our Second Chapter.

Susie said...

What a great idea!! Good luck with your project!!

Julie M. said...

What a fabulous idea! I will definitely be heading over to check out the chapters. It sounds like you all had a ton of fun putting it together as well.

I am up in Ocean City; Frankford, DE to be exact. Where are you at? We'll be here through Sunday, I'd love to hook up for a cup of coffee or a thrashers fry if you're up for it!

miss jo said...

Just goes to show you that now's your time as a writer...Congratulations on this collaboration. Look forward to following.

miss jo said...

Forgot to mention....I love the superior snap. The best !

Florida Girl Meets the Midwest said...

Based on everything you have already done, sounds like you have become a writer. Kudos.

carma said...

very interesting - I'm off to take a gander

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin