Monday, August 16, 2010

Seeing Red


Seeing Red

Every Tuesday, a group of really talented bloggers posts another chapter in our collaborative creation, "and what happens then..." Chapter 3 is debuting this Tuesday. Please visit and leave a comment; your encouragement helps us keep the creative juices flowing!

Breaching the barricades of civilization once more means a return to the ebb and flow of daily life. We get to sleep in our own beds; even Mr. Fairway's nightly concerts are in the proper pitch. But the nasty necessities need to be taken care of, too. The catbox gets changed more regularly. The dishwasher gets emptied, and I fill the fridge once again with groceries.

My chicas and I just finished up a week in the Cayman Islands. No special occasion. Just a "girls' getaway," if you please.

Many of my friends and co-workers enjoy "event-filled" vacations. Hiking here, diving there. Getting everyone all gussied up to go out.

The Scribes are a tad different in that regard, especially when it's just "us girls." We didn't do much last week except sit on the beach. Or at the pool. We shifted positions occasionally, and went "exploring" at least once. We actually had time to read. We gorged ourselves on fish and fruit and a few piƱa coladas, too.

But now that we're home, we've got responsibilities at hand. Ella Numera Una is interviewing for summer jobs (yup, June 2011 will be here before we know it) this week. Ella Numera Dos is packing up a summer's worth of junk, so that she and I can take The Great American Silo Tour back to the Upper Midwest and her junior year of college. I'm getting ready for school, which starts in three weeks.

We had a nice break. We tuned out for awhile. But now we've got to focus.

It's good to be back.

33 comments:

Susie said...

Sounds like a great break!

Manang Kim said...

This is fantastic!! Love it!
A Chevrolet red pick up

lazyclick said...

Awesome

EG Wow said...

Very cool!

Sarah said...

Wow, what a great picture!

Tara R. said...

That is a gorgeous sky!

So glad you and your chicas had a chance to get away for a girls' vacation before everyone had to get back to their daily grinds.

Hope each of you have a wonderful school year.

Amanda-The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Hello! I am a new reader. Can't wait to see more from your blog! Please follow me back at The Nutritionist Reviews and Giveaways: http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com

blueviolet said...

We're kinda in the same spot. My first is starting her first job after college and my baby is getting ready to start his college junior year. Can you believe how fast they grow up?

Julie M. said...

It sounds like you had a really great vacation! It's so nice to spend time with family. Glad to hear you're all doing well.

Jenny the Pirate said...

WOW what a sky pic. I do love me some pink and red and salmon in a sunset. Breathtaking.

I need a vacay.

Jeanie said...

I like your vacation style and I love the Cayman Islands. Sounds like you had a perfect time with your girls.

yonca said...

Sounds like a wonderful break! Love the pic:)Beautiful!

Tracy P. said...

So. You're saying it's time to focus, huh? I really don't want to. The school supplies are bought, but I LOVE these mornings when no one has to be anywhere. Sounds like you have a good attitude about it, Mrs. Scribe. Your time on the beach must have been just right!

Me, Myself and Pie said...

Gorgeous pic. Glad you had a nice time. (But it's always good to be back!) p.s. I'm so happy you liked the jalapeno poppers! Welcome back!

Cheryl said...

Welcome Home! I missed you. Sounds like you didn't miss us at all. Good for you!

Krystal said...

well welcome home :)

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

That sounds like the perfect vacation to me! Parking my tush in the sand with some beverages? Sublime! Glad you had some quality girl time. Welcome home :)

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Oh man I would love a chance to get away!

reg said...

I am so lucky as well I am enjoying fantastic views on a holiday my self

miss jo said...

What would life be like without things to do ?....As much as I like vacations, one of the best things about going away is coming home, especially to the kitties !

Snowcatcher said...

Awesome anticrepuscular ray in that beautiful sunrise/sunset... Nice capture! Your writing project sounds intriguing, too.

lizziviggi said...

Lovely, delicate pastels. Oh, what I would give for a getaway to the Caymans with my chicas! Still, while vacations are nice, there's nothing as nice as coming home again!

Optimal Optimist said...

What an awesome pic! Sounds like you had a great vacation...

Thanks for stopping by my blog- I love your posts and I'll definitely be back to read more : )
Hope you have a great day!

Kristy said...

Yes, I also do not like scheduled type activities during a break. I like open-ness!

Nance said...

How can it be Mid-August already? I'm still in Denial, and I like it here.

Jennifer said...

I think those are the best kinds of vacations, where you just sit and do nothing. Ahhhh. I think I relaxed a little just thinking about it.

Jeanie said...

What a fabulous photograph (as are others on your blog!) Gorgeous! And perfect for Ruby Tuesday!

Thanks so much for coming to The Marmelade Gypsy! It's a pleasure to meet you (and I'm glad the stimulus helped out people in your world!)

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben loves vacations like that. Meanwhile, I like to frolic and scurry and have adventures.

Jenners said...

Sounds like you vacation like I do ... nice and quiet. My husband and son, on the other hand, are "get up with the sun and let's get going." Urgh.

The Empress said...

I am SO extremely jealous, and wish I were with you to see that sky in real life.

carma said...

Ohhhh...I bet you enjoyed the Caymans. Instead of lounging when we were there earlier this year we decided to trek miles up the beach. Typical for us on vacation. I need to get some R&R pointers from you.

Glad you made it back safely.

Andrea said...

What a nice trip! I love the trips where you don't do much of anything but sit on a beach. We are in high gear too. School starts next week!

lazyclick said...

Beautiful sky.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin