Monday, August 2, 2010

The Road Not Taken

Steering the Straight and Narrow

20 years ago;
a red-haired baby,
with a gap in her teeth.

Born the day
invaded Kuwait.

A girl
of few words,
but big plans.

"Do it myself!"
You always could,

"Actually, I want that one."
Fickle might be
your middle name.

"Recycle, Mommy."
The first two words
out of your mouth.

"OK, Mom..."
Punctuated with an exasperated tone
and a roll of the eyes.

Yes, we always

"Mom, I'm not stupid."
You said that to me just

"It'll get done."
Cleaning your room?
Taking out the trash?
Emptying the dishwasher?

"I don't know."
Uttered when someone asks
about your future.

"I love you."
Sometimes by text;
sometimes out loud.

But I can always
feel the hug.
Even when you roll your eyes.

Please visit Ella Numera Dos at her photoblog, MOO,
to wish her a Happy Birthday!


Betty said...

What a stickin' cutie!
LOVE this sweet post!
Touching words too!!

Big hugs,
B xx

Lucy said...

Oh, how sweet, what a great birthday poem!!

Off Topic
P.S. Have you read the book Between Two Worlds by Zainab Salbi and Laurie Becklund?
It is really good and I can't put it down! I keep thinking it would be great for High School kids.

Lizzie said...

What a delightful memento this page will be for her some day. Love it.

Jeanie said...

A beautiful tribute to a much loved daughter.

BLOGitse said...

I did. Visit her blog and said happy birthday :)
Happy 'mother's day' to you! :)
greetings from Casa!

Susie said...

I hope she has a GREAT birthday:-)

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

Aww, what a sweet post :) Hope she has a great birthday!!

Sarah said...

Happy B-day, Ella Numera Dos!

blueviolet said...

Happy Birthday to your wonderful daughter!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Happy birthday!! And what a beautiful poem - I'm sure she loves it!

Manang Kim said...

She is a cutie and love the shot!


Kristin said...

Happy happy bday to your beautiful baby girl!

The Blonde Duck said...

How precious!

Debbie said...

Awww. That is so sweet! Happy birthday to your baby.

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday to your girl! I love the "I love you, sometimes by text". So sweet!

Julie m. said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! Your post to her is beautiful. I can't imagine a better gift to give.

Tara R. said...

That is a Superior Snap! Fabulous smile and a jaunty angle to her helmet.

Happy Birthday to Ella Numera Dos. My College Kid turns 21yo on Friday.

faerwillow said...

~a heartfelt tribute to your one...happy belated birthday...may she be blessed with only joy filled days...grand memories always to be made and moments she will long remember...brightest blessings upon her always~

Caitlin said...

Aww, that was so sweet. Great poem!

Tracy P. said...

How sweet is that! Love it! Been away, so I'm just catching up. Wish I could have gone to time out with Dos!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin