Monday, July 19, 2010

Two Peas in a Pod?

Two Peas in a Pod?

I think it's safe to say that Mr. Fairway's favorite vegetable is the green pea. As in the frozen variety, which comes in bulk at your neighborhood grocery story. The veggie that looks like a collection of little, freeze-dried green rabbitt turds, until combined with H-Two-Oh & microwaved on "High."

I don't believe the taste of said green peas has anything to do with Mr. F.'s affinity. Convenience, I imagine, is the big draw here. That & then my Hubby feels as if he's contributed to our splendid repast each evening.

We often have peas when steak is on the menu. Or chicken. Or burgers. And of course, peas go well with pasta, because one can put them right in with the noodles & the sauce.

In decades of marital bliss, the only veggie that Mr. Fairway seems to prefer over frozen green peas is corn on the cob. Of course, being from the Upper Midwest & all, he knows how to shuck a cob. And throw it into a pot of boiling water. Although I must say we've argued, from time to time, over the length that said cobs must boil before they're ready to serve.

As far as the frozen peas are concerned, Mr. F. is "no fuss, no muss," especially in the presentation. Give him the plastic bag of these green, frozen wonders, a plastic container & a nearby tap. He'll rustle up the requisite veggies in no time. Say, 3 minutes or so.

This is where our views diverge. I'd certainly prefer to serve my veggies in something prettier than a faux-Tupperware container. But of course, as you can see, we eat our margarine out of a tub, too.

20 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Hey, did you steal my margarine tub? And for that matter, my peas from the freezer? That meal looks SO familiar!

Amy said...

Ooof. Peas are probably my most vile dinner table nemesis. When the littlest sister was highchair sized, she used to like frozen peas still frozen, just plucking them off her tray. Gross.

Lucy said...

Oh, we use the same tub of butter BUT my family will not eat peas and I love Peas! Nope, they eat only ONE vegetable GREEN BEANS and I sneak spinach in their very GREEN salads. I know longer allow Iceberg Lettuce int the house. Anyways, the meal looked a lot like one of ours only replace the Peas with green beans or a salad!!!!

Alissa said...

I can't stand peas, and while I like corn, I avoid eating it on the cop as it is way more convenient to microwave a bag of frozen corn. Plus it is less likely to get stuck in my teeth. I am all about convenience when it comes to vegetables thought. Those frozen veggie packs (as long as they aren't peas or green beans) are awesome.

Mama Lisha said...

I like to use frozen baby peas by thawing in cold runn ing water, not cooking them, fresher tasting, and then mixing with macaroni and cheese or in any pasta dish for that matter.

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Love that meal, Melissa and your picture is marvelous!
I'm coming over there right now!

Have a great week ahead!
B xx

Together We Save said...

Great picture... but I have to say, peas?? not my favorite veggie!

BLOGitse said...

PEAce, I love peas! :)

Nance said...

You can have your margarine; I am real butter only at the Dept. although my husband is a margarine man. Peas, however, j'adore! Won't use Tupper as a serving container at table, though. I'm a bit of a stickler on that one, even though it's now Just The Two Of Us.

What better reason to Class Up The Act? ;-)

faerwillow said...

~atleast mr. f is willing to contribute...A for effort! i l♥ve peas...fresh or frozen...there is always a huge bag in the freezer...i can eat them frozen cold or cooked...say i like peas why yes i do! thanks fo ra glimpse of your table for two! warm wishes and brightest blessings~

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben's same way. Greens or peas. Unless it's in a soup. Then he'll eat any veggie.

blueviolet said...

I'll eat most any veggie! That kind of meal is pretty much the kind I grew up with!

Kristin said...

I only pretty things up for company. HA!

paige said...

The vegetable I hate the most: English peas. Yucky, round, green, deadly peas.

yonca said...

Oh, one of my fav veggies and look really good in your picture.

Pamela said...

fresh corn on cob...
I either cook it in the micro (3 minutes for one ear. 5 minutes for two ... and so on)

I put it in a micro proof bowl and put lid or micro-plastic on top.

OR... soak the ear with husks in water and thro on BBQ with the meat.

Love peas. love snap peas

Chef Bee said...

Nothing wrong with frozen veggies. Every time I make peas I smile because my sister got out of eating them when we were little by saying "Peas give me headaches". We still tease her and tell her kids the story.

Plan B

LisaDay said...

Oh dear, Amy. My little guy prefers peas frozen as well. He eats them with blueberry for breakfast and he is OK with eating them for every meal.

LisaDay

HappyChyck said...

I can't remember when I last ate peas. We're broccoli fanatics at my house. Peas would be a nice change.

Lora said...

sometimes I feel like my entire life is lived out of plastic containers and things pulled out of my grocer's freezer section.

I'm partial to the Trader Joe's petite peas. I love the frozen pea. especially in pasta or mashed potatoes or those salads that old ladies make. Or right out of the bag.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin