Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Busted!

Busted!

According to all accounts, she zipped up the highway, intent on having lunch at Curly's, a well-known eatery at the Green Bay Packers' historic Lambeau Field. A sorority sister road shotgun. The March day was sunny, but cool.

We only learned the details of Ella Numera Dos' road trip last month, when she received a letter via certified mail at our home address. Mr. Fairway went down to our local post office to pick up the missive, which turned out to be from the Virginia DMV.

The news took 3 months to travel our way. I guess the State of Wisconsin had to process the paperwork of a young out-of-state offender before sending the bad news along to her place of official residence. And, of course, our little girl wasn't going to voluntarily let us know about her traffic transgression, now, was she?

She is so busted.

Turns out the child was traveling a mere 84 mph up the highway in a 65 mph zone when a trooper pulled her over. I thought Honda Civics disintegrated at that speed.

But Ella Dos is one lucky chica. Because the officer cited her for 19 over instead of 20, she avoided the dangerous driving charge, which would have added 6 points to her license & required a much heftier fine.

As it is, the Dairy State left punishment in the hands of Ella's home state, Virginia. The Old Dominion required her to attend defensive driving class (she completed that part of her "sentence" yesterday) & she must re-apply for her license. And Ella's taking care of all the attendant costs involved, including the Wisconsin ticket & the financial hoops she must jump through here to clear her good name.

Did she learn something from this experience? A couple things, in fact.

First off, no cheeseburger is worth risking one's life & limb. And don't tick off Mr. Fairway. He's still pretty steamed at Daddy's Little Girl.

18 comments:

Jesson And Rey Ann said...

nice post!

paige said...

Oh, no! Well, at least she will learn. I got a speeding ticket and it (almost) broke me of the habit. The next two really did.

What? I was young. :)

Susie said...

Yikes!! I know our cheeseburgers are good but geez...go easy, huh?

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a good lesson learned for her, both in her driving speed and in fessing-up to mom and dad. My daughter got a few tickets in her Honda Civic years ago, not to mention a minor wreck or two.

chele said...

My son just received his first ticket. I think he was doing 47 in a 35 ... something like that. One ticket in four years isn't that bad, I guess.

Alissa said...

Maybe it's something about Civic drivers. My sister got a ticket for going 80-something in hers on the highway when headed to her wedding. It was NOT a shotgun wedding, and apparently the Connecticut state trooper didn't take pity on the bride to be.

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Ha! I am thinking that paybacks may be a bitch for me, because I was Ella Dos, 19 years ago. I got a whopping speeding ticket, did not divulge the news to my parents, and had to pay a hefty fee to get my license reinstated. I have not received a speeding ticket since, but I suspect that when my kiddies get around to driving, I may have some paybacks. :)Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

Ooh, brat! heehee

I did the same thing during a vacation in Florida when I was 19, but my folks never found out. Of course, it wasn't quite THAT rate of speed either!

In Ontario (Canada) we have new dangerous driving laws. If you're caught going 50km(31mph) over the speed limit you are considering "street racing", and the police immediately impound the vehicle for seven days, issue a *minimum* $2,000 fine and suspend your driver's license for seven days. It has had dramatic results since it was implemented in 2007, believe me!

Sarah said...

Not bad. Everyone drives at 84 mph regardless of the speed limit here in NorCal. I need to watch out though as I haven't got one in so many years.

faerwillow said...

~lead foot and my husband could go hand in hand!! unfortunately mine is still having a hard time following the rules...hopefully for her...this with slow her down! best wishes and brightest blessings upon you ALL~

Amy said...

Yikes. Gotta love the first speeding ticket.

At least he went easy on her.

Thanks for visiting!

The Blonde Duck said...

Maybe if she buys him a burger he won't be as mad.

Tara R. said...

We got a similar notice from the TN DOT. Apparently they have cute little cameras at intersections and they sent us a souvenir of our trip... my white Honda and a red light. Busted!

At least it doesn't mean traffic school.

Allyson said...

Changing my driver's license address after getting married was the best thing I ever did. No more mail to the folks. Of course, after getting married, I wasn't so concerned with what kind of mail my parents got about me because I was married and not in danger of getting busted on anything. But whatever you do to her, I know Mr. Fairway's will be worse!

Pamela said...

oh man... the proverbial "Be sure, your sin will find you out!"

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

Ouch. I too would have thought the car would blow up at that speed. Just a few mph more and she'd have gone "back to the future"!

HappyChyck said...

Oh! So busted! I hope she's not like me and simply learns where not to speed.

(I know that I, nor my husband, will get away with speeding in Duchesne County, UT. I don't care if you honk your horn or tailgate me. I will be nailed for succumbing to your peer pressure.)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin