Thursday, July 29, 2010

An Acquired Taste

Here Comes the Sun

Today's Writer's Workshop prompt: Write a poem for your furry friend.

She sleeps 21.5 hours a day
in the window, on the stairs,
in my daughter's unmade bed.

Her name is Pepper; the vet said we should call her "Moo," instead.
I guess her coloring favors that of the bovine species,
but she's much more fun to cuddle with than a cow.

She didn't purr for the first
3 years she resided here.
Now she goes full speed ahead.

Her grasp of etiquette
is not the best.
She eats too fast and hogs the covers.

She has a funny,
raspy sort of voice.
But sometimes, she'll sit in the basement and howl for hours.

Her favorite spot
is in the sun.
Unless she has a human to snuggle with.

She still has her claws,
and our furniture can attest
to her destructive tendencies.

One thing I need to remember:
Never adopt a dark couch
when you have a white cat.

I think we can
all agree.
Pepper is an acquired taste.


faerwillow said...

~o l♥ve pepper! the last lines really tie it all together quite nicely...wonderful evening of rhyme...warm wishes and brightest blessings

Embraced Chaos said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my site, Sorry it took me a little while to get back with you, but I appreciate your comment. I grew up on a farm and adore animals... so I love your sweet poem. Look forward to reading more.

June Freaking Cleaver said...

I also wrote a poem to the cat.

Love the last line...clever!

Betty said...

I love Pepper!
Great to hear about the cat's habits!
Awesome photo too!

Have a great day!
B xx

BLOGitse said...

I'd love to cuddle with a cow! :)
I'm not a cat person - we wouldn't fit in the same room... :)

Cheryl said...

Never adopt a couch... Best line ever!

Lesley said...

Thanks for checking my blog out this morning....looks like great minds were thinking alike with the kitty poems. :) Don't you wish that you could sleep for 21.5 hours in a single day JUST ONCE? Yeah, me too! LOL

Angelia Sims said...

Yay! Pepper is the star. :-) Love the stretching picture. What a cutie. This is the first pet poem I read from Mama Kat's. Love it!

Forest Rose said...

Well done....pepper seems so sweet I miss having cats, my hubby is not a fan of em. God Bless!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

What a great poem, especially the last lines!

carma said...

Pepper is a sweetie -- how do I get in on that sleeping 21.5 hour a day gig??

Susie said...

Great piece!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the Pepper poem!

Tara R. said...

Ahh... to find a patch of sunshine to nap in. That is the way to live.

Your tribute to Pepper is tastefully done.

EG Wow said...

Pepper sounds well loved. :)

Sarah said...

She has a lot of persanalities!

Mama Kat said...

I'm such a kitty person. Thank goodness my kids saved me from becoming a cat lady. I love them.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

On behalf of cows, I'm offended at your suggestion they're not cuddly.


gaelikaa said...

She is a sweetheart!

gaelikaa said...

The poem and photo just bring her out of the virtual world and into the room I'm reading it in!

miss jo said...

That little peeper Pepper has found her purr. What a lovely poem...I've been thinking of Pepper since we adopted Tutti the tortoise/calico, 9 months and full of pea and vinegar, as Baba might have said. Bouncing every where. Her meow is a chirp, uttered with a gurgling purr....Hey, the start of my own putty tat poem !


Blog Widget by LinkWithin