Tuesday, June 29, 2010
The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow
Always the eternal optimist, a few OBX observations:
10. Bummed that I had to work an extra week this year. Blame the Snowpocalypse!
9. Pleased that the School Board decided to give us back one day (one lousy day!), so that my vay-cay didn't have to start the same day as the annual Teacher Scavenger Hunt.
8. Upset (a tad) to learn that the Annoying New Teacher (and no, I haven't penned a missive about her~yet) acquired the room next to mine. Don't care for obnoxious wannabes crowding the sacred environs of Room 215, now, do we?
7. Chuckled to overhear this convo in the checkout line the other nite:
Mom #1: "So, we thought about taking the kids out of school a week early this year."
Mom #2: "I know. Wasn't it obnoxious for the School Board to extend the year like that?"
Mom #1: "Well, it was either that, or take away part of Spring Break and add 15 minutes to the school day. We already had tickets to Disney World, and Junior has soccer right after school. We didn't want to cut into that time."
Mom #2: "Did you hear that the School Board is freezing teachers' pay for the 2nd straight year? You'd think they'd learn how to get the budget under control."
Mom #1: Come to think of it, I wonder how much it cost the school system to run those buses & serve those lunches during the extra week?"
Mom #2: Especially since all most students were doing was watching the World Cup during that last week."
6. My point, exactly! One of my colleagues actually had his class watch the World Cup in lieu of a final exam. Well, I've done something similar in years past, but never on a final exam day!
5. Happy that the auto repair process went smoothly yesterday morning. Big Blue should be back & kickin' in about a week or so.
4. Thrilled that Enterprise actually picked me up this time (remember the Chicago Debacle of last summer?) & I was on my way back to the beach in less time than it takes to say "Cadillac SRX."
3. Thought about my nephew when Enterprise put me in a Caddy. He's gonna want to drive that sucker & I'ma gonna have to tell him "No way, José!"
2. Frustrated by all the bells & whistles on high-end vehicles these days. Keyless entry, keyless start. Lots of digital reminders for this, that & the other. I know that after a week or so, my modest little Big Blue is gonna be looking mighty fine to moi!
1. Cackled when I called OnStar by mistake while adjusting the rear-view mirror. Then stalled out the Caddy & spent 5 minutes in a convenience store parking lot a) trying to cancel my OnStar call and b) trying to remember how to start the dern car again. Failure to figure out how to engage the engine of a luxury vehicle doesn't qualify as a genuine emergency, correctamundo?