Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow


The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow

Always the eternal optimist, a few OBX observations:

10. Bummed that I had to work an extra week this year. Blame the Snowpocalypse!

9. Pleased that the School Board decided to give us back one day (one lousy day!), so that my vay-cay didn't have to start the same day as the annual Teacher Scavenger Hunt.

8. Upset (a tad) to learn that the Annoying New Teacher (and no, I haven't penned a missive about her~yet) acquired the room next to mine. Don't care for obnoxious wannabes crowding the sacred environs of Room 215, now, do we?

7. Chuckled to overhear this convo in the checkout line the other nite:

Mom #1: "So, we thought about taking the kids out of school a week early this year."
Mom #2: "I know. Wasn't it obnoxious for the School Board to extend the year like that?"
Mom #1: "Well, it was either that, or take away part of Spring Break and add 15 minutes to the school day. We already had tickets to Disney World, and Junior has soccer right after school. We didn't want to cut into that time."
Mom #2: "Did you hear that the School Board is freezing teachers' pay for the 2nd straight year? You'd think they'd learn how to get the budget under control."
Mom #1: Come to think of it, I wonder how much it cost the school system to run those buses & serve those lunches during the extra week?"
Mom #2: Especially since all most students were doing was watching the World Cup during that last week."

6. My point, exactly! One of my colleagues actually had his class watch the World Cup in lieu of a final exam. Well, I've done something similar in years past, but never on a final exam day!

5. Happy that the auto repair process went smoothly yesterday morning. Big Blue should be back & kickin' in about a week or so.

4. Thrilled that Enterprise actually picked me up this time (remember the Chicago Debacle of last summer?) & I was on my way back to the beach in less time than it takes to say "Cadillac SRX."

3. Thought about my nephew when Enterprise put me in a Caddy. He's gonna want to drive that sucker & I'ma gonna have to tell him "No way, José!"

2. Frustrated by all the bells & whistles on high-end vehicles these days. Keyless entry, keyless start. Lots of digital reminders for this, that & the other. I know that after a week or so, my modest little Big Blue is gonna be looking mighty fine to moi!

1. Cackled when I called OnStar by mistake while adjusting the rear-view mirror. Then stalled out the Caddy & spent 5 minutes in a convenience store parking lot a) trying to cancel my OnStar call and b) trying to remember how to start the dern car again. Failure to figure out how to engage the engine of a luxury vehicle doesn't qualify as a genuine emergency, correctamundo?

20 comments:

Cheryl said...

There is nothing fun about the rental car experience. Why? They neglect to leave the damn manual in the glove compartment. Sheesh.

By the time Big Blue is ready, you may have fallen in love with that car. Or formed such a strong bond with OnStar, that you'll never want to leave home without them.

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

I sense some awesome stories about Annoying New Teacher...or ANT, as I have already named her in my head. =) Glad your vacation has truly started.....

quilly said...

Amoeba hates the bells and whistles on my car and it isn't half as fancy as a Caddy!

The last rental car we had Amoeba took out the extra insurance that says we can bring it back in a gazillion pieces in a brown paper bag without penalty. It was a good thing, too, but even with the insurance, the rental guy looked none too happy when I handed him the sideview mirror. The garbage truck made me choose between driving over a cliff or side-swiping a tree. I picked the tree.

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

I'm so glad for you!
Wishing you a HAPPY vacation!
Big hugs!
B xx

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad I'm not a teacher. I know there are some really great teachers that do a wonderful job. I would not be one of those.

Have fun driving the caddy.

Thanks for stopping by.

Neena said...

What an awful weather year - I can only imagine what it was like for teachers. As parents - it created a lot of rescheduling issues. And let's not even talk about the World Cup!

Hopefully - you are now happily into your summer vacation!

faerwillow said...

~sounds like you've been experiencing some fun in your life...uugghh...rental cars...no thank you...had to laugh with you about onstar...wishing you a smoother road ahead and bright days to enjoy your vacation! anxious to hear all about your new friend in the fall! warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ohmygosh - that's too funny!! I do like that OnStar is coming standard on many vehicles now. I think it could save many lives.

The rest of it....typical American laziness!!! You know that stuff doesn't exist anywhere else!! Enjoy your vacation now!!!!

Sarah said...

That's the spirit, Ms. Scarlet! (and sorry about the new teacher)

Nance said...

I am completely befuddled re: Keyless Start. How the hell...???

On my old Exploder I had keyless entry, however, and let me tell you how much I used to have to use it. I was forever forgetting that I laid my keys in the back end when I was loading the groceries, would slam that hatch shut, then be unable to get into the automatically locking car. Sigh. Thank goodness for that little keypad code.

No such luxe on the present car, though. Now I have to be much more alert. Sigh.

Tara R. said...

I'm afraid if I had OnStar on my vehicle The Boy would pester them so much with asinine requests the auto police would repo the car.

Hope OBX is all you hope for in a restful vacay!

yonca said...

Sorry about the teacher.Sounds like you guys have a wonderful vacation plan.Enjoy your summer!

Christina Lee said...

How funny you overheard that convo. it would have been hard not to voice your opinion!

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

Watching the World Cup might be more challenging for me than taking a final exam. Challenging or painful? I think I meant painful.

Funny about the OnStar. I wonder what percentage of their calls are that "oops" variety.

The Blonde Duck said...

I think teachers should be paid so much more.

Susie said...

I love your observations!

blueviolet said...

I hope your week without Big Blue passes quickly!

Lucy said...

You will have to give the car back just when you have it all figured out!

Don't you just love parent conversations. I love it when they bitch about education and then in the next breath talk about yanking kids for vacation and sports!

paige said...

Number 1 is HILAROUS. Sounds like something I'd do.

miss jo said...

Hope someone snaps you driving this Caddy.....Makes me think of June driving the Ford Fairlane in 1968 Dallas and all our classmates' moms drove Cadillacs...Speaking of Dallas, have you noticed your hair getting any bigger since the Caddy came into your life :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin