Friday, June 18, 2010

Cosmo Girl


Cosmo Girl

With only 3 real school days left after today, Pepper the Cat & I are collecting our beach reading materials early. Want to make sure to have the latest, greatest, trashiest & trendiest for my trek to The OBX.

Next Thursday, our "official" last day, will be a totally worthless exercise. A smattering of kiddos~mostly froshies~will traipse thru the halls of Our Humble High School, ostensibly to acquire their grades, but really just to socialize & say goodbye for the Summer.

Then we teachers begin the idiotic process of "checking out." Really a form of a scavenger hunt, although involving signatures, but no real prizes. That is unless one considers being relieved of duty for a couple of months a form of compensation. More of a gift, I'd say.

I've got a packet with many instructions that don't say much. Included is a list of names. On Thursday, I will dutifully dash from person to person, as a colorful line of John Hancocks snakes down the page. Textbooks accounted for? Check. Tech equipment turned in and/or stowed? Check. Flag rolled up and put away? Check-a-rooni! Wouldn't want Old Glory to suffer a Summer mishap.

Then we'll all tromp off to the library to have Principal Man certify that we are free. As my Nana would say, "Thank God for small mercies."

25 comments:

Cheryl said...

Amen and Ta-Da!

Jesson And Rey Ann said...

nice one!!!

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

How are you doing, Melissa!
Just passing by to say hi!
Have a great Friday! :)
B xx

Tara R. said...

Woohoo! Sum... Sum... Summertime! Enjoy your beach getaway and basking in the sun.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I love your cat!

I hope things go smoothly and you are released easy peasy!!!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

When you read that article, please do update us on "what men find hot", ok? ;)

I know you're doing the hourly count down in your head - and in your heart you've already arrived at your OBX!

Have a fabulous weekend!!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Yay! There's just something magical about summer vacation.

Pepper knows what I'm talking about.

Susie said...

Have a Happy Emancipation day:-)

Cezar and Léia said...

Such a gorgeous friend! :)
purrs and love
Luna - WE LOVE LUNA and mommy Léia from Bonjour Luxembourg

quilly said...

This is the time of year when I was a walking zombie.

Yankee Girl said...

The last day of school was always the best. I would usually go out for ice cream with my friends when the day was over.

Happy summertime to you!

Diane AZ said...

She looks very possessive of that magazine. Great reflection!

Nance said...

We also have the Checkout Sheet at The Rock. (Secret: Many of us forge initials on the sacred sheet!) The whole tedious ordeal has become such an exercise in tracking people down who go to lunch, hide to escape long lines, etc. that we just say screw it. We sign them ourselves, knowing that the final scan by the exec. sec. is cursory at best.

...Just sayin'...!

Monica Mills said...

And what is the punishment for those who incorrectly "check out?" There is no checking back "in?" We here at "Wing-It High" also resort to all manner of dirty and low down tricks to get our summer release papers signed. Welcome to summer - it has been a l-o-n-g wait for you.

blueviolet said...

I believe Pepper makes for a much better cover model than what's under there!

Pat said...

Have a wonderful summer and I love the kitty-cat reflection!

Kristin said...

Here here for a little R&R! And thanks for the compliment on our new bloggy pad!

Greyscale Territory said...

Fantastic shot! The cool look on the cat's face is marvelous! Good luck to you with the holidays! I too am a high school teacher - Victoria, Australia - looking forward to the winter holidays at the end of this week!

Sarah said...

I don't know about you, but the cat looks all relaxed and ready for the summer.

Quasi Serendipita said...

Pepper certainly looks relaxed! I hope the end of term goes smoothly!

awarewriter said...

Nice shot. Your description sounds like a pre-flight checklist. LOL Have a nice summer.

Ruthibelle said...

thank GOD for small mercies indeed!

dkzody said...

We have that dumb sign out sheet too, but it's real short. Attendance sheets, summer address card, keys, and grades. I haven't turned mine in for many years and no one has ever said a word. I always have the signatures, I just never get around to turning it in. This year, however, I turned in my keys for the first time in 21 years AND the sign out sheet. Someone, somewhere, fainted.

The Blonde Duck said...

Trust me, I still like plenty of red meat and regular burgers. I've been wanting to try bison burgers too. I just like a burger in any form--black bean, beef, turkey.

sheila said...

I like how the pretty kitty is sitting on a magazine that says "what men find hot"....lol.

Enjoy your summer! Teachers rock. And they usually don't get enough credit for all they do!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin