Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pool Report


Pool Report

Ye Olde Swimming Hole opens in less than a week. Mr. Fairway & I were up here last weekend, just checking things out & wondering about the start of the Summer season. With the cool-ish temps we've been having lately, I'll bet only the committed pool rats will brave this scene on Opening Day.

The lifeguard stand in the deep end casts a pretty big shadow. This locale is a metaphor, I suppose, for a period of my life that is rapidly coming to a close. Ella Numera Una will be working at a "real" place of employment this summer. Ella Numera Dos, who helps coach the summer swim team, will take a turn in this chair, I suppose, but her rotations will be infrequent.

Just the other day my chicas reminded me of the summers when I'd drop them at the pool at 9 a.m. One of them would have some cash in her swim bag. They'd go to practice, hang around, eat way too much junk at the snack bar, order Domino's & make it home in time for dinner, around 6 p.m. or so. Both my gals would turn nut brown by the 4th of July.

We had the same summer routine for a decade or more. They were always a tad winsome when September rolled around again. But they never got tired of the pizza.

15 comments:

Andrea said...

We swam for the first time in our pool last night and again today. The water is still a little on the chilly side, but the kids loved it anyway! Even I did a cannonball!

Nappi said...

Missing it already.

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Love that pool!
What great shot, Melissa!
Have a great Sunday!
B xx

Tara R. said...

The pool looks calm right now, but I bet in a few weeks, it will be filled with kids ready to enjoy their summer.

Jeanie said...

Your words and your picture show what great memories this pool has for you and I suspect they evoke memories for many of us about kids and summer.

Amy said...

I miss those long days at the pool! Scored a babysitting gig this summer that will involve taking the kids to the pool. Not the same as the good old days, but am looking forward to it nonetheless.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

untroubled waters
no children swimming, splashing
lifeguard off duty

Shadows in Dry Places

Mrs4444 said...

Ah, sweet summertime memories. I've so far avoided any walks down Memory Lane with Kyle--I'm afraid I'll get weepy!

Tracy P. said...

It speaks volumes that you and Mr. Fairway went up to cast a wistful glance. Time for a new generation to follow in their steps. I swear, chlorine still runs in my veins.

Susie said...

I can't wait!!!

carma said...

our town pool is called The Swimming Hole too -- It opens this weekend but there is no way I will be getting in the pool until the temps are in the mid-90's. I'm such a ball of fun ;-)

thank you for your sweet comments on my BON day :-)

Hey Harriet said...

That photo makes me forget briefly the cold weather currently experienced on this side of the pond. Oh how I long for summer! A lovely photo and an enjoyable story! I never tire of pizza either :)

Hope you have a great week!

BLOGitse said...

ooh, what a pool...I miss my morning swims...
But
happy SSS greetings from Casablanca
and
have a great week ahead!

BLOGitsePHOTOS

paige said...

Wow. I miss pools. *sigh*

miss jo said...

Ye Old Swimming Pool has never looked better. What a great pool for kids to hang and grow up around.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin