Monday, May 17, 2010

Entering the Home Stretch...

Home Stretch

Dear Mrs. Scribe:

If I don’t get the chance to meet with your during the graduation festivities, I want to make sure I don’t miss this opportunity to comment on the importance of what you do to the likes of parents like me.

You have given my daughter tremendous opportunity to lead, to be responsible, to be dependable. For this I owe you heartfelt thanks. How well she met those challenges is likely not what her potential permits….. (eg. KUMBAYA couching) but you gave her the chance to grow anyway.

I can only imagine the stress of your job, depending on these young people who are just beginning to develop these important character traits, but without these opportunities we end up with totally unprepared people beginning the “development process” in the workforce. You give your students an opportunity to understand the importance of dependability on a real level while there is still “hope” for growth.

Is it easy to be on your best in an all eyes forward classroom. Character is what happens when you are not in that kind of environment, when you are your own master and free to choose to be responsible… or not. My daughter is learning the importance of responsibility and dependability, and your course and your approach has done that more than any other.

Again, thank you and bless you for your commitment to the "impossible dream."


Sincerely,
A Mom from the Class of 2010

Editor's Note: What a difference a year makes! Please take a gander at another Mom's missive from last year's graduating class...

16 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

How nice to get a heartfelt thank you letter!!! Great teachers ROCK!!!

You know, like you! :D

MissKris said...

I worked in the schools in the capacity of lunch lady for middle schoolers for 7 years. It was one of the most gratifying jobs I've ever had, tho one of the hardest. I ended up being a 'substitute' mom for sooooooooo many kids. Like you, thousands passed thru my life. But I wouldn't trade my time with those kids for all the money in the world. And we'd often have parents come up to us and tell us how much their kids loved us, too. Even the staff used to love to come in and hang out with us before school and during their free periods. One told us, "This is the best place in the school!" What a nice compliment that was!

Christina Lee said...

So awesome she wrote that!! It would have made me tear up! BRAVO to you!

Tracy P. said...

Vive la difference! Whoa, does that ever speak volumes. That Mama gets it! Frame it. :-)

blueviolet said...

You are the teacher of teachers! It's easy to see how loved you are!

Susie said...

That's so much better than last year!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

What a beautiful letter and sentiment - you obviously deserve it!

MrsThull said...

I am so excited to find your blog! I am currently going to school to become a post secondary teacher! Congrats on the letter from a parent. I had so many GREAT teachers, it is what inspired me to become one as well. 2 years down 2 years to go!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Aw that is so awesome! You must have the biggest smile on your face.

Ronnica said...

What a encouraging letter! I think expressing thanks should never be underrated!

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Oh, how awesome is that!
You seem to be great teacher, Melisa it doesn't surprise me though.
Have a great week ahead!

B xx

The Blonde Duck said...

You totally deserved that note.

Jingle said...

lovely letter,
hope that you all have fun1

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

How fabulous to get that kind of feedback from a parent?! (and one who can spell, too... whaddya know)

Teachers - even great ones like yourself - so rarely get the pat on the back that they deserve.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

mama-face said...

What a wonderful end of the year gift. Much better than lotion?

The world needs droves more teachers like you.

Cheryl said...

How nice that someone's mom noticed.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin