Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Between a Rock & a Hard Place

Before you get too anxious over the above snap, I acquired it from a friend's vacation photos. They took a cruise & got an eyeful after a storm on the island of St. Maarten. Yes, this is a school bus. And yes, looks like a big ol' tree fell on it. I'm told that no one was harmed, however, either on the bus, or in the snapping of this shot.

This photo reminds me of how I've been feeling the past few weeks, as our unseasonably (in the 30s this a.m....good grief!) cool Spring days melt into the more relaxed pace of Summer.

I'm busy wrapping up things at Our Humble High School. The AP Lang exam is tomorrow, which means that class is all downhill from here on out. I'm assigning Catcher in the Rye at the end of the week & I've promised my cherubs we could frolic for awhile to relieve AP stress.

I'm trying to get my journalistas to wrap up this year, while organizing for next. Serious procrastination, however, has set in. Looks like Kamp Kumbaya might have settled in for the duration.

I'm serving as sounding board & Dear Abby to my two chicas, one of whom is suffering through seriously difficult law school exams & the other who just wants to quit college (a couple more weeks...hang in there, little bit!), come home & hang out at the pool.

And I keep reminding all of the above that we all deal with our own little demons & we all suffer our own little (and sometimes not so little) setbacks. At this time of year, with so many competing forces vying for our attention, it's sometimes best just to push back.

Always remember. Things could be worse. Just ask that school bus driver in St. Maarten.

21 comments:

quilly said...

I told Amoeba that I think I am suffering cyclic depression. I always get tired and run down at the end of every school year. This year I am not teaching, but I am still feeling the exhaustion! (Still I'm in better shape than that bus!)

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

this is a rough time of year, life is going about 150 miles an hour ALL the time. It's crazy! Keep your chin up and keep paddling! =)

Cheryl said...

Yesterday I felt like that bus. Here's hoping the temps rise and all of your cherubs settle down.

Tracy P. said...

It looks like summer is due to arrive here on Friday, but the last two weeks have been completely miserable. And since there hasn't been lightning, the sports have gone on. Patience is running thin! I so hear you. The people in your life are lucky to have a good cheerleader. Hope you have some good people cheering YOU on!

Christina Lee said...

well said!! And yes things could be harder--but everything is relative and we all have our hills to climb. Hang in there!

Jeanie said...

I was thinking kind of what Tracy P. above said....I hope you have some good support while you are spreading your energy around supporting everyone else. Hang in there.

Tara R. said...

I like that... 'just push back.' Life could be worse, and we all need to remember that during the trying times.

Good luck to your chicas and I hope you all have a tropicalicious summer.

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Right now I'm feeling like that bus. Ugh. You just have to remember to keep on pushing back. It has to get better, right?

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Ooh, I LOVED the AP Lang exam - it was the only AP exam on which I ever scored a 5. Though I did love all AP exams. The anticipation. The bond with the other students in the library. The pencils. The booklets. Skipping the other half of the school day. Or on days when there was two exams hanging out with friends in the hallways, eating snack and frantically quizzing each other.

Sigh, I mourn for those days. Is it weird AP exams are some of my favorite high school memories? You don't have to answer that.

p.s.~ Good for you for fighting and getting your money back - I always hope people fight through the system about stuff like that.

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

OH yeah - it's that time of year.... bless you!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I couldn't even tell it was a bus at first!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Wonderful outlook you have there! I hope all works out with your chicas! Love me some Catcher in the Rye. Your kids must be psyched!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Susie said...

It is such a time of transition that difficult is just part of the vernacular:-)

Lucy said...

Now, that is quite a mess and you are right we all have moments when we feel like a tree has fallen on us!

Ronnica said...

Ooh, I remember that feeling of wanting to quit right at the end. But it's true that the darkest hour is just before the dawn!

blueviolet said...

It looks like it was in a trash compactor!

Glad the year is coming to a close!

Nishant said...

The people in your life are lucky to have a good cheerleader.
indian classified site

Andrea said...

What a crazy pic. I do remember this time of the year with school. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you are a student, teacher or parent, this time of the year is just nuts!

Tracie said...

I didn't know it was a bus till I read your post. Yikes! Yes, it could always be worse but we're still allowed to whine and complain a little bit. :)

Hang in there! Good luck to your daughters, too.

cat said...

Oh that bus - priceless picture.

cjschlottman said...

At the end of school way back when I was in high school and in Junior College, I remember everyone feeling like that bus looks! (I was editor of my college yearbook my sophomore year). We were all, faculty and students alike, just hammered from nine months of hard work. You described it perfectly. Wish you could have been my teach!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin