Saturday, April 3, 2010

I'm Proud to be an American

Today's 6-Word Saturday features the famous DC Cherry Blossoms, with all of their beauty & some of their beasts. Your Humble Scribe spent 3 hours in close proximity to the White House, the Ellipse & the Tidal Basin yesterday afternoon. Here's what I came up with:

DC Caucus

DC Caucus: Out in full force.


Monumental Framing

Monumental Framing: The inspiring Jefferson Memorial.

Grandmother Cherry Tree

Grandmother Willow? Looking spry at 98!

Tidal Basin Tourists

Tidal Basin Tourists: Different kind of snowstorm.

Mr. Jefferson & Friends

Mr. Jefferson & Friends: 'Nuff said!

DC's Finest

DC's Finest: Guarding the motorcade route.

As you can see, I've got 6 words for each of my 6 snaps this a.m. Suffice it to say that when the Cherry Blossoms coincide with Easter Weekend, all hell breaks loose. I've never seen so many folks in such a confined space. The blossoms reign supreme this time of year in DC.

Toward the end of my Tidal Basin stroll, we experienced~en masse~a peculiar DC phenom. Suddenly, the wall-to-wall traffic on 15th Street vanished, as black Secret Service SUVs swung into place. The gallant gentleman, above, turned his mighty steed toward a blaring hubbub that emanated from the direction of the freeway. A police helicopter flew in circles over our heads.

I'm proud to say I'm an American every time this happens (and in DC, it happens quite a bit). As the crowd pushed curbside, dozens of motorcycle cops, 2 ambulances & a press van zoomed past us, followed by 2 armored limos & another dozen or so SUVs.

President Obama was headed home. And guess what? The assembled masses gave him a standing ovation.

25 comments:

Writing Without Periods! said...

What beautiful photos of the cherry blossoms. I'm proud to be an American too.
Mary

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe said...

Those Cherry Blossoms looks breathtaking!!

I've never been to DC - though hope to this summer when I'm in nearby Virginia for a friends wedding!

Catherine B said...

Beautiful photos! I have never been in DC during the spring to see this. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier! Gonna look around your site and look forward to reading more~

PJ said...

Gorgeous photos! Yes, I am proud of my country, just not the administration at this point and time.

God Bless America and God Bless you!

Happy Easter!

PJ

amyblam said...

We were in DC last year for spring break as the cherry blossoms were blooming and it was amazing!
Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Olivia said...

Beautiful cherry blossoms! Happy Easter!

Jeanie said...

I have been to DC to see the Cherry blossoms...it is so beautiful. Your pictures were very fun to see and it was fun to hear about your exciting day.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

My six words for you: Thanks for these glimpses of DC!
My Six Words
Shadowy Toilet!

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

I heart America!
What great photos , especially the cherry tree.
Btw , there's an award waiting for you!
Have a happy weekend!
xx

HappyChyck said...

LOVE cherry blossoms! I have ONE tree in my front yard, and it bloomed for about 4 days. Indeed it seems the window of enjoyment is SMALL. Thanks for sharing your picts!

MommieDaze said...

So beautiful! I've always wanted to see the cherry blossoms in bloom.

Vodka Logic said...

beautiful pictures. I must get back to DC again soon

Sarah said...

spring's here and the ducks know.

MsBabyPlan said...

Wonderful pictures! Happy Saturday.

Tara R. said...

I really want to be in DC when the Cherry Blossoms are in full bloom. It looks so beautiful.

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

i have always wanted to see those. there are some on the UW campus here and i think those two locations are the only locations in the US for this particular kind of cherry tree. unfortunately, it has been cold and rainy for about 3weeks here so there are no good blossoms left, i'm sure. =( glad you had a good time, and those are some great pictures.

Tracy P. said...

Even after all that snow! I bet they've never been appreciated so much. :-)

Lucy said...

I have always wanted to see the Cherry Blossoms!!! Your pictures did a great job and hopefully someday I will get to see them up and close!!!!

Susie said...

Those cherry blossoms are on my bucket list:-)

Cheryl said...

Love the willow and the duck shots! *applause applause*

Erin said...

Beautiful cherry blossoms! I saw them when I was in 8th grade and didn't fully appreciate them. I hope someday I'll get to go back and really experience DC again.

BlackEyedDog said...

ohh...the trees are beautiful^^

Abigail said...

Beautiful - glad you enjoyed your hanami! I've not really managed to see any this year - I went to a hanami party but somehow we ended up in the dark part of the park *lol*

Snuggly Monkey mama said...

I used to live in Japan - Cherry Blossom season is amazing. I haven't seen the Cherry Blossoms in DC since I was a kid, so thanks for the photos and the reminder of many happy memories.

Thanks for stopping by today & commenting on my post. Your book reviews are fantastic.

Joann Mannix said...

Ahhh, to be in DC during the bloom of the cherry blossoms. Nothing like it. Although, I will say the crowds are not my favorite part.

Beautiful pictures.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin