Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Light My Fire

You Light Up My Life


Still reveling in the fact that the 2010 Yearbook is history...at least until the rioting starts in about another month.

I wanted to celebrate with the students today during class, so did what any self-respecting adviser would do: I purchased a Carvel ice cream cake and a couple of decorative candles.

Only one small problema with my sweet surprise: Our Humble High School does not allow incendiary devices on the premises, unless in a controlled environment, like a chemistry lab. So, I was planning on festivities, sans fire.

And can you believe it? My journalistas let out a collective "Awwwwwwwwwwwww..." when they saw the cake. Partly because their favorite teacher (that would be moi) had surprised them. Partly because we had nary a match nor a lighter to cause a little combustion.

Proving, however, that I am ever the Resourceful Scribe, I thought for a couple of secs & lit on an idea.

No, I had nothing with which to light the candles, but that didn't rule out one of my cherubs, who happened to be located in a nearby classroom at that very minute

You see, while pot usage has declined nationwide among adolescents, the casual use of Mary Jane (for medicinal purposes, correctamundo?) happens to be soaring at Our Humble High School. So, I decided to test a theory I've had for quite some time.

"Hey, one of you go next door & ask 'C' if she has a lighter, or some matches, OK?"

A couple of sophomores looked at me with one of those, "What is she planning now?" expressions. But a junior (they're older, but not always wiser) took the bait.

"I'll do it...I'll bet she does!"

In 2 shakes of the proverbial lamb's tale, the child was back, concealing some contraband in her left hand. I lit the candles on the cake, they sang a little "Happy Yearbook" song & the Editors made a big production of closing their eyes, making a wish & huffing & puffing in grand birthday style.

Probably broke a few rules yesterday afternoon. But the kids had fun. I returned the illicit lighter to its rightful owner, with a great deal of thanks & a little bit of advice.

"Thanks, sweet pea," I gushed, before putting on my Teacher Face. "But you need to be less-obvious about your recreational pursuits, OK?"

21 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

Nice, I love those ice cream cakes.

Would have liked to see the expression on C's face when you dropped that advice on her.

Queenie Jeannie said...

AWESOME!!!!

I worked on the yearbook my senior year. I had no idea it was SO MUCH WORK!!! But being the selfish, self-absorbed senior I was, I figured I better be on the committee to make sure it was GOOD, lol!

Bravo to you and your staff!!!!

sheila said...

Mmmmmmmmmmcake sounds great! No picture?

Fierce said...

Ah well, rules are made to be broken, especially when ice cream cake is involved. That WAS a nice surprise, I wish one of my teachers would do that.

:)
xoxo

Amy said...

A delightful feeling in a job well done.

I did not know either of those fun pot facts, although I could have maybe guessed the latter from stories I hear.

Cheryl said...

No incendiary devices? What, your high school is an airplane?

paige said...

I worked on yearbook and never got a single cake. :)

Melissa @ Cellulite Investigation said...

You are now officially the coolest teacher ever.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

You are one cool teacher, my friend! Love the advice - bet the look on the face of the recipient was priceless upon hearing it ;)

Jeanie said...

You've gotta love a teacher who is willing to break a few rules. No wonder you are their favorite.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Ooh, ice cream cakes *and* high school rule breaking? Now that's an awesome day.

Christina Lee said...

VERY cool (the story and you--to lots of kids obviously)!! ;-0

Sarah said...

haha. students are no match to a smart teacher!

Ronnica said...

Not as good as DQ's ice cream cakes, but ice cream cake is about the best surprise I can think of!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Mmm yummy, I LOVE ice cream cakes. So good!

P.S. I've never caught any flack for loving the Twins while living in WI. Frankly, a lot of people love the Twins around here. Being that we live right across the river from MN I think a lot of people here feel more at home in MN than they do with WI. PLUS I'm from Minnesota so I could never love anyone but the Twins =-)

Susie said...

I wish I had teachers like you back in the day:-)

The Blonde Duck said...

You're such a cool teacher.

carma said...

You are a regular MacGuyver - but without all the inventing stuff. I bet your kids thoroughly enjoyed working with you on the yearbook. I would have :-)

can't beat a Carvel cake!!

Kristin said...

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken.

blueviolet said...

Rules are made to be broken now and then!

MommieDaze said...

Congrats on finishing up the yearbook! The years I was on a yearbook staff we were still working on it over the summer. I guess we weren't very organized.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin