Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Life Lessons

Rah, Rah, High School!

Mrs. Scribe:
My favorite class this year is a special topics writing and rhetoric class on sports writing. Last week we read a Michael Lewis piece called “Coach Fitz’s Management Theory.”

It’s somewhat of a personal essay about his high school baseball coach. He opens “A few people, and a few experiences, simply refuse to be trivialized by time. There are teachers with a rare ability to enter a child’s mind; it’s as if their ability to get there at all gives them the right to stay forever.” He continues to tell of his coach, who was so much more than that.

I had to read, analyze and lead a discussion on the piece. In doing so, I thought about whom this person was in my life, and I easily and indisputably concluded it was you.

You gave lessons on writing, layout, ethics and AP style, which have truly been helpful and given me an incredible head start working for the college paper. But the lessons that have resonated more than anything are life lessons — of potential, priorities and perspective.

To be as brief as possible, you knew where my potential was and gave me an earful for anything less. You understood life priorities, which can get so mixed up in high school and as I’ve found in college as well. There were times I’d get worked up, and you’d slap me in the face — metaphorically — and put things back in perspective.

I’m so grateful for these lessons and for the person who taught me them. I know you continue to teach and that all the students who have been in your classroom are lucky.

If you’re interested in the piece, it is lengthy but worth it. Here is the link.

I also sent a copy of this e-mail (without this line) to Principal Man, so the big man knows how wonderful you are.

All the best,
Sports Chick

Class of 2009

27 comments:

givingherallshesgot said...

That is so. Freaking. Cool. Go you!

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

aw! good on ya!

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Awww, soo glad to read that!Cool!
B xx

quilly said...

Nice. And that's what makes it all worthwhile -- not so much the being remembered, but knowing one made a difference.

Alicia said...

wow! that's so awesome!! what an awesome compliment!!!

paige said...

What a nice letter. It makes me want to send my English teacher a letter! (I keep in touch with him to this day...now on Facebook. Isn't technology grand?)

Cheryl said...

How cool is that? Rock on Mrs. Scribe!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so cool.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Way to go!!!! An incredible compliment!

yonca said...

Oh, cool! That is s a nice letter.

Tara R. said...

This made my day! Good for you!

Tracy P. said...

Sweet! I'm so glad that instead of just thinking it, she went on to tell you. :-)

Melissa @ Cellulite Investigation said...

So cool that she sent it to the Principal Man. What a savvy student! Congrats on receiving such a heartfelt compliment!

Christina Lee said...

awww that is SO great!

BLOGitse said...

yes, yes you rock!

BLOGitse

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Yay! Good for you, so cool!

Susie said...

That is really neat! It's nice to get some coodos, isn't it:-)

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

How wonderful was that?? Can you get a better sign that you're making a huge difference to these kids? Not all teachers can say that, and we all know it. You are AWESOME.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

That is so incredibly touching - congrats!

Tortuga said...

WOooo! You go Scribe!!!

Sarah said...

there's the sweet reward for being a great teacher.

Jeanie said...

It sounds like your are indeed a teacher with that rare ability to enter a child's mind. It is so wonderful that this student chose and was so able to express your great value to her. Kudos to you.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

That is SO cool!! Makes it all worth it, doesn't it? :)

sheila said...

Very neat! I think we're constantly until we did learning lessons. It's funny to look back on things I thought were right, and they were so wrong.

Lucy said...

Now, that is awesome!!!

blueviolet said...

You rock! That confirms it!

miss jo said...

An awesome thank you....You rock...There should be a Mrs. Scribe Day and Principal Man should bring you cupcakes in gratitude.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin