Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Wind in the Willows

Willy the Willow

The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame's children's tale of Mole & Ratty, Toad, Badger & The Chief Weasel thrilled me as a young Scribe. I so wanted to disappear, sometimes, into the Wild Wood. Grahame's message of forgiveness & compassion still resonate with me today.

Today's lesson is about the power of Spring. And yes, it does have a metaphorical Weeping Willow at its center.

Ella Numera Una's friendships are vast; her loyalty runs deep. So it was not without a great deal of sadness that she & The Boy called it quits last week. I promised I wouldn't go into it; wouldn't dwell on the parting of the ways. I've tried to be supportive, to be "there"; to render advice; sometimes when asked, most often when not.

I know there's a good chance that the young man reads some of the words I write in this space. So, if you're tuning in, dear, I hold no grievance, no antipathy, no anger. But you also need to know that even though she's sad, my chica is moving on.

So, what about the potted Weeping Willow in the snap above?

Our neighbors hosted a stunning, 40- to 50-foot willow at the end of our street. It blew down in a horrific wind storm 3 years ago. Owing to my "green thumb" & all, I decided to take cuttings and try to root them.

The result was a beautiful Bonsai-type, miniature Weeping Willow, which resides on my deck. And when the chica moved into a new apartment last Fall, I made some cuttings, rooted them & sent them along to Madison, Wisconsin. The result is Willy the Willow, perched at the top of this post.

Willy, though, is a deciduous tree; he loses his leaves in winter. Una became alarmed at the rapid retreat of greenery. Willy, she said, ended up looking like a collection of sticks stuck in some dirt on her back deck. She took him inside to try to rehabilitate him, but he chose to lie dormant all winter.

Spring has arrived in Wisconsin, though, along with the promise of new & exciting adventures ahead. Willy is back out on Una's deck. We went to the gardening store yesterday & acquired a new pot and some fresh soil. Willy now has a new home. And he's already showing signs of renewal, with a couple of small green leaves sprouting on one of his brown, stick-like branches.

As we grow, we learn about life. Even The Chief Weasel from The Wind in the Willows acquired some knowledge in that allegorical tale. Una now knows that in order to grow, sometimes we need to shed our leaves. But Spring always brings new growth. And I'm awfully glad of that.

26 comments:

Kristin said...

Amen for Spring and the promise of new growth!

quilly said...

The losing of a dear friend seems to be a teenage rite of passage -- a particularly painful one. I lifted both girls in prayer.

Alicia said...

ohhh honey, i hope she's doing ok. that picture and comparison just fit so perfect. sending big hugs her way. i hope she finds some comfort...

lulusbay said...

BF's that are real BFs are forever... they just work.. sometimes there is a break - but the bond is always there.

As to the subject of your photo.. have to admit, I thought you were showing us a pic of your Marijuana Plantation!! LOL

cat said...

There is a time and place for everything, and so relationships also pass.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a picture! What a message!

Susie said...

It is interesting...I used to break up relationships in spring too. Something starting fresh and new with everything really spoke to me.

yonca said...

Love your message! Every season is beautiful but spring is special than other seasons. Isn't it?

faerwillow said...

~a heartfelt post and your words written ever so true...we grow and learn and sometimes letting go of something makes us stronger...l♥ve the willow tree...i bought a curly willow tree from our local farmers market about 4 years ago...i went into panic when all the leaves fell that first fall and it was just standing bare...this past fall i replanted it in the ground and i am amazed at the size of it...almost double in size...sometimes our roots need more space to expand...to thrive...well wishes and brightest blessings~

Cori Lynn Berg said...

And moving on can be one of the greatest acts of courage...

Christina Lee said...

AWW *hugs*. it does kinda look like marijuana like lulusbay said--LOL! Where are OUR minds?

Tara R. said...

I hope Una is okay, ending friendships can be painful, whatever the reason. I'm glad Willy is making his spring comeback.

Life Without Pink said...

Spring seems like a time for a new change, doesn't it!? I hope she is doing ok.

Tracy P. said...

Wow, so much better now than later. Blessings to Una. I love the lesson of new growth! Going out to uncover some in my garden this very morning. :-)

When Did I Become said...

It's gotta be a hard time for her. But she will grow and heal. And she has a wonderful mom by her side...

xoxoKrysten said...

Sometimes moving on is what you need to do.

Ronnica said...

Yes, thankful for the growth!

Cindy said...

"in order to grow sometimes we need to shed our leaves"

very true., I am going thru my own painful loss, but God is good.
thanks for stopping by my blog

visiting from SITS

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

With a plant (tree?) like that, a girl can conquer anything.

Maggi said...

I'm glad she's moving on! I hope she's okay!

Nance said...

What does it say about the Suspicious Mom/Highschool Teacher in me that I, like lulusbay, immediately thought it was a Marijuana plant? Sigh. Thank goodness I'm on spring break now and can clear out some Brain Clutter. Obv, I need to.

The Blonde Duck said...

I loved that book. I hope she's ok.

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

breaking up is hard to do, to borrow a line from people more famous than I. Hope she is doing ok, and it's good that you're there.

And I love the Wind in the Willows, I have read it several times and have a really nice copy that just makes me feel good to read. Have a great last few days of spring break!

Marie said...

Willy the Willow is looking great and I agree at first I thought it was a marijuana plant, not that I know what one of those looks like, ha!

miss jo said...

A sweet metaphor for renewal of all kinds. 'Tis the season !....Willy must also be a cousin to Lacy, distant.:)

act prep classes columbus ohio said...

Gotta love the spring!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin