Thursday, March 25, 2010

Old Florida has New Allure




All My Bags are Packed...

We're a traveling family. My folks took me to Infinity & Beyond. I've tried to replicate that experience with my 2 chicas.

The motto in La Familia Scribe? "Be Prepared." Just like Ella Numera Una y Ella Numera Dos, back in the day. Remind me to get this snap retouched. That scratch across Dos' face bothers me. But I love the fact that they're posing in front of a bookcase that carries a snap of them from their younger years.


I've always believed that a family that travels together stays together. Dos hoofed it over to EspaƱa a couple years ago. Una did the Mediterranean cruise thing last year.


The Scribes do love their beaches. We've been every which way there's sand, from Hawaii, to Mexico, to Grand Cayman, to the Bahamas. We've touched our toes in the Atlantic, the Pacific & in the Mediterranean. And don't forget our beloved OBX.

This week, the Youngest and I are taking in a little oldstyle FLA sunshine & ambiance in St. Pete Beach.

St. Pete Beach & I are old friends. I remember this Gulf town on the string of barrier islands near St. Petersburg & Tampa from my college days. But the town's taken on a different hue since then.

The high rises still loom over pristine white sand. But instead of screaming "Florida Tacky," they've embraced their past~which includes everything from Art Deco allure to 1950s motel-chic~to weave a colorful backdrop to a beach vacation.

This is the Don Cesar, a flamingo-pink confection visible just after one crosses the drawbridge into town. And no, we're not staying here. Too upscale. BTW, this snap is also not Scribe-generated. Neither are the two of the restaurants, below. Please thank the St. Pete Beach CoC for that.


Ella & I have been hanging out at the beach, the pool and at several of the old-school Florida joints in town. We chowed down at Dockside Dave's last nite. Ella consumed a 15-oz. ribeye for $15. I think that's a dollar an ounce, correctamundo? And my fried clams were the best. Dave's has a seat-yourself aura and a hammerhead-hanging-on-the-wall decor. Perfect if you're just off the beach or are out for an evening on the town.


St. Pete Beach offers an international side to life, too. Bella Habana Restaurant serves Cuban sandwiches, steak grilled Cuban-style, a variety of fresh seafood & live music on Friday nites. This cute little place just screams "Bienvenido!" The waiters are pretty cute, too...an added plus.

Gotta say, there's not much more to do here than eat and sleep in the sun. Haven't seen too many college Spring-Breakers, though we have witnessed the recent arrival of quite a few families from the Midwest. But there's enough room here for all of us, even a week-and-a-half before Easter. The natives keep complaining about the slight haze that hangs over the beach each morning & evening. I don't know what they're talking about. St. Pete Beach has perfect "do nothing" weather.


Beach Cabanarama

Of course, when we get tired of all the eating & the sleeping, walking on the beach is always an option. At at place like St. Pete Beach, the surf's always up.

Surf's Up!

23 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

I need a tropical vacation. That looks just beautiful.

I love the old pictures..their shorts match their swim suits so well. :)

cat said...

Enjoy the beach! We will also be on a beautiful South African beach for Easter.

Christina Lee said...

aww St. Pete's! We just returned from Sarasota! LOVE the pics.

Susie said...

You guys sure do have the wander lust:-)

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Aahh, how i'd love an exotic vacation!
Great pics!
Big Hugs!
Betty xx

Tracy P. said...

Only a LITTLE jealous! Yea for you! Looks heavenly.

Caution Flag said...

Okay, I closed my eyes and wished, but I'm still in Detroit. I think something went very wrong there. Enjoy that sun and warmth (and the steak sounds mighty good, too.)

xoxoKrysten said...

My family and I always used to go to FL when I was a kid too - my grandparents had a condo in Sarasota. So this day I can't think about FL without thinking about all the good times spent there as a kid.

yonca said...

Beautiful pics! Enjoy the sun nd the beach!

Tortuga said...

I miss gathering sea shells on beaches.

Cristin said...

So You're the Scribe. I've seen that little award thingie around a lot.. and I've 'known' Pseudo for a while now... nice to finally meet you!

Hubs and I have been talking about finally taking the plunge and doing a family vacation... We'd love to take the kids to Fla.

We went to Captiva (way before kids) and loved it!

Tara R. said...

I hope your trip to the Sunshine State rejuvenates and relaxes you for what's left of the school year.

only a movie said...

Looks gorgeous. Love it.

Jeanie said...

Wow, that place just screams vacation. I love a good beach trip and the fried clams made me drool.

Alison said...

I can't wait to spend some time at the beach this summer! I'd love to be somewhere tropical! Thank you for visiting my blog today!!

Andrea said...

That looks fantastic. How I love fried clams. I haven't had them in so long!

Have you been to Key West? We are considering it for a vacay.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! Sounds like a great time.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

We've done Florida many times for vacation - it takes a full 24 hours to drive there from our place, but we prefer to have our own vehicle down there. We like going further south to Fort Meyers though - not as many tourists, and the beaches are sublime.

I retouched that photo for you:
http://youknowthatblog.com/images/ellas.jpg

If you want to send me a larger scan of it, I'll do that one for you too. :)

mama-face said...

Oh, that beautiful white sandy beach. I want to go to there. :)

Karen said...

I have never been to Florida. I really, REALLY want to go to Florida.

But, I'm pretty partial to Cali, too!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I think I would love it here. If I ever leave Hawaii, Florida would be an option. Hope I at least get to visit.

miss jo said...

Superior travelogue. St. Pete's sounds like a spring break hideaway, or a place to hide and write a novel...Has Ella Dos turned into a land shark, eating 15-ounce steak ?

Mighty M said...

I think the beach, any beach, is just about my favorite place. Of course a warm and sunny beach is ideal, but I'll take it cold and windy too (for a little while at least!)

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics..!!Your two daughters looks so cute but I guess they need to eat a lot..!!They are very thin.!!I am glad that you enjoy visiting the St. Pete Beach..!The beach is cool and very relaxing,no doubt.!!Thanks for posting.!!I had fun.!


restaurant st pete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin