Thursday, March 4, 2010

Commuter Connection


Commuter Connection

I've been under the weather with a cold & from the cold. But I came out of hibernation long enough to post this sunrise, shot from my 2002 Camry on my way to work the other day.

My commute's about 14 miles going against traffic~most the time. Guess that's one of the perks of heading out to work at 6:30 in the a.m. If I hit the Beltway~DC's notorious highway & byway~at just the right second, I can hurry on down to school in about 20 minutes. But our traffic is so lousy out here that I sometimes barely make it under the wire for my 7:15 a.m. contract time.

Those of you who teach know that planning comes with the job. I've been known to use my drive as my "planning period," but please don't tell Principal Man. Don't think they favor this technique in Teaching 101, the requisite ridiculousness force-fed our wannabe "educators" in this world.

A couple of months ago I started carrying a small digital camera in my bag so I'd be able to capture moments like this. Too bad I'm often in the car or in my classroom~and not sitting at the kitchen table pondering the universe~when I get to savor spectacular sunrises.

14 comments:

J Bar said...

Great shot.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Susie said...

I have been doing a lot of pondering of the universe lately...through my cough medicine induced haze:-(

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You may be in the car when those moments come--but at least you have your camera along!

Tara R. said...

That beautiful sunrise is the best reason for driving to work that early.

Farmers Wife said...

Great idea to have a camera handy...or a notepad and pen to record those thoughts that can be blogable....like in the middle of the night when I think of something..

Vodka Logic said...

I have been trying to keep my camera handy too. The cell phone works but for beautiful pictures like your, a camera does it justice.

Thanks for inspiring.

Sarah said...

is that called driving under the influence (of a camera)?

Allyson said...

Isn't it interesting how, once you start blogging, you are almost never without a camera? Sort of like when I was a journalism major, I was never without paper and pen. You never know when inspiration will strike! This is a fantastic picture and as someone who rarely sees a SUNRISE, I really appreciate that. (And don't worry...my cousin uses her shower time as her planning time. Y'all have to be resourceful).

Jeanie said...

I love the view of the sunrise through the trees. I like that you are multi-tasking on your drive....
planning, photography and, well, driving. A true teacher.

cat said...

Great one. I also carry my point and shoot constantly.

Melody said...

Hope you feel better soon.

I usually only have my cell on my to take photos. The iPhone is great, but not that great when it comes to photo quality. Oh and it's horrible when you lose all 417 photos stored on your iPhone. That's another story though.

Gorgeous photo!

~melody~

~Melody @ 6 Feet Over~ said...

Hope you feel better soon.

I usually only have my cell on my to take photos. The iPhone is great, but not that great when it comes to photo quality. Oh and it's horrible when you lose all 417 photos stored on your iPhone. That's another story though.

Gorgeous photo!

~melody~

Quasi Serendipita said...

I also carry a point and shoot for just that kind of moment!

happily retired gal said...

Hope you feel better soon ... LOVE this beautiful sunrise ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin