Monday, March 8, 2010

1 Day, 2 Day, Birthday, Seuss-Day!

With apologies to Dr. Seuss, for 2 reasons: a) I forgot The Great Man's Birthday (March 2, last week!) & b) The following epic, scribbled last year, about this time.
Happy 106th Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

One year two year
red year blue year.
Black year blue year
old year new year.

One might have a little star
One might feature a new car
Say! What a lot of years there are.

Yes. Some were red. And some were blue.
Just ask George Bush, and Obama, too!
Some were sad.
And some were glad.
And some years were we
very, very bad?

Why were they sad and glad and bad?
I do not know.
I've asked my Dad.

We learned to read with your silly fish
your zany Whos, and with Horton, too.
We followed the antics
of those who did that:
The Sneetches, The Grinch
and The Cat in The Hat.

So we'd like to wish you
a few days late
the birthday of birthdays,
you just are so great!
'Cause young children still read
to remember your day.
Green Eggs and Ham
just won't go away!

It's hard to believe
you're one hundred and six.
When we read your short books
our lives surely do click!
So, please, take this poem
for what it is worth
we all wanted to remember
the day of your birth!


quilly said...

Oh! When I was teaching I used to arrange big reading parties for Dr. Suess' birthday! I miss those fun times.

Vodka Logic said...

That poem would make Dr. Suess proud.

Babes about Town said...

Sad I missed his birthday too. The poem rocked. Really brightened up my morning so thank you!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

NIce poem. We were busy celebrating JDaniel's birthday and missed Dr. Seuss'.

Linda said...

Hi, Stopping by from SITS. I am proud to say that I had many DR. Suess books in the house when my daughter was young. I am even more proud to say that I still have those books.

xoxoKrysten said...

Oh my gosh that poem is AWESOME!

Tortuga said...

What a neat poem!!!

Just letting you know I awarded you some bling today!!

Susie said...

What a great tribute!

Quasi Serendipita said...

What fun! I love the Dr Seuss books :)

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

Seuss and I share a birthday. :) I think of him every year! (Him, and also Bon Jovi.)

What a great tribute to such an amazing author.

Kristin said...

What would we do without the Seuss?

Jeanie said...

I love your poem and I love Dr. Seuss. My favorite is "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb".

Allyson said...

Oh Dr. Seuss...not only do people still read you but we were watching Iron Chef America last night and Symon actually MADE green eggs and ham. You and your vision are so greatly missed. But what a perfect poem to remember him. It makes 4-year old Allyson peep out from under the covers and grin a great big ole toothy smile!

Farmers Wife said...

My kids love Dr do I!

cat said...

Oh we love the madness of Seuss.

JennyMac said...

It is amazing to grow up reading books that I am now reading my son!

blueviolet said...

There will never be anybody else like him. One of a kind and I'm glad!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Huge Dr. Suess fan here! And Bella is so proud because now she can read them all by herself!!!

My husband and other soldiers went to the school and read Dr. Suess books to the kindergarten and first grade classes. They were a big hit!!! Thomas went to Bella's class and he does all the "voices". Bella was soooo proud!

miss jo said...

Awwwwwwe. Jeff still wears a Cat in the Hat hat when wee cherubs visit.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin