Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow Emergency

Use the Door Next Time!

No, this isn't Santa coming in the window more than a month late. The Blizzard of '10 covered just about everything in sight...including the satellite dish, so my Dear Hubby wanted to do something about it.

"I'm not sitting in the ##!?--$$! house all day with no TV," the intrepid Mr. Fairway exclaimed. So after shoveling all morning, he figured he'd go out on the roof and clear the frozen stuff off the dish~or die trying.

Did I mention that my man is no spring chicken? Yes, he's cute & all, but couldn't we hire a neighbor boy for this slippery mission?

"I can do it," he said, hoisting the stepladder & the broom. "Just call the EMTs if I fall."

I scurried up the stairs after him, wondering how this would all go down. Mr. Fairway is built like a football player~our upstairs windows are a little on the smallish side.

But before I could give the matter another thought, Hubby had the window up, the screen off & had scooted out onto the roof of the garage, ladder, broom & all. Standing in huge drifts of snow.

Snow Emergency

"Hey! Get me the ice scraper with the brush on it," he hollered. "And the cooking spray."

"Like the non-stick stuff? The Pam?" Was he thinking of making omelets out there, or what?

"So the snow won't stick to the dish once I scrape it off."

Well, all-righty, then. I scooted back downstairs and out to my car for the scraper, when I heard a rattle, then a crash. I looked up in time to see the stepladder thunk in a pile of driveway snow.

I grabbed the scraper & the Pam (just in case) & dashed back inside & back up the stairs, with my heart in my mouth. Mr. F. was still standing in the snow on the roof, busily brushing at the white stuff, which kept blowing back in his face.

"What happened to the ladder?" At this point, I didn't really want to know, but thought I'd ask, anyway.

"I didn't need it, so I sent it downstairs, Express Mail."

Oh. How do you respond to a crack like that, when your husband is standing on your garage roof in the middle of a blizzard?

I guess you know the moral of the story, correctamundo? If you're going to attempt snow removal from the precipice of your garage roof during the biggest snowstorm in 20 years, wear ski goggles. And don't forget the Pam.

Mission Accomplished

Mission accomplished! Oh & one more thing. All those sporting events Mr. F. wanted to watch Saturday afternoon? Preempted by local TV coverage of the Blizzard of '10.

39 comments:

cat said...

To me this looks extremely hectic. Wow, all that snow!

{ Persis Shah } said...

whoa...that is a lot of snow!! Im guessing schools would be shut too. How have you been passing your time besides watching tele then?

Hootin' Anni said...

That's insanity at its finest. LOLOLOLOL

I'm sure glad we don't have snow. We have threats of hurricanes...but no snow. roflmao

Thanks for stopping by my blog Saturday and leaving such a sweet, sweet comment.

Have a great week ahead.

Fierce said...

Wow, that there's a lot of snow. Thankfully our satellite dish is attached to the top of our (very small) tools shed so nobody needs to learn acrobatics to clean the snow off it.

The spring shows were pre-empted by coverage of the blizzard you say? Maybe the-powers-that-be thought "Since he didn't fall, we'll find some other equally excruciating way to punish him".

:)
xoxo

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOL!!!! All that work and no sports, ugh!! I'm glad he didn't get hurt anyway.

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Hysterical! Where are you? Such a guy, right?

Herself said...

I'm with you, M! Snowed in, iced in, snowed in again. AND another storm to come in tonight and clobber us again!

blueviolet said...

That is just hilarious! And that is the reason that our satellite dish is not on the roof!

Sarah Nicole said...

Wow. That is a ton of snow. He is mighty brave!

Jennifer said...

That sounds like something stupid my husband would do.

Cole said...

Oh wow, that's a lot of snow! And I love that he sprayed it with cooking spray to keep more snow from sticking. How creative! Thanks for stopping by!

Brandy said...

That is too funny!!! I probably would feel the same way, not wanting to get stuck inside without TV in a blizzard! You really got slammed, huh? I am in NH and we have had a pretty mild Winter this year, seems everyone else is getting slammed with snow though!

Allyson said...

Bwahahahahaha!!! Well, at least you got to receive up-to-the-minute coverage on what was going outside your window. I hope they at least showed the Super Bowl, though, because that would be overkill. My husband is always making cracks like this. Last week I was talking about how my "monthly visitor" makes me bitchy and how he had no idea how hard the whole process is. And he said "it's hard for me, too." To which I said, "HOW'S THAT??" and without missing a beat, he said, "I have to keep you happy." Oh they're a witty bunch. I wonder if blogger wives make them that way or we're just attracted to the funny within. Whichever it is, when it comes out at inopportune moments, it makes you want to slap the goofy grin straight off their faces.
Enjoy your day off....

Lynda said...

Men!

love lives in the kitchen said...

i love snow but i can immagine that enought is enougth! keep warm and remember that spring will come, sooner or later :)

have a great week,
justyna

Debbie in Nashville said...

That is hilarious!! What an adventure and I love that all that was on TV was the snow coverage!

bluecottonmemory said...

At least he was ready for SuperBowl Sunday:) My guy would do the same thing. You are one lucky lady to have a snow like that:)Enjoy for those of us who weren't as fortunate.

BLOGitse said...

wow, you have a LOT of snow!
I'm happy not being in Finland now - there's the same situation!

Actually why I'm here...
I came to tell you
that you're one of the most active SITS members who explores blogs a LOT!
You don't just sit and wait - you're active and you have your own slogan - I like it! :)

Your name with the . at the end is personal and different. I don't mix you with any other Melissas. For example there are too many Catherines or Christines so I don't know who is who!)

Well done!!!

Thumbs up for you!!!

BLOGitse

momentsinaneye said...

Hi Stopping by from SITS....Love your story. We (in michigan) are going to get hit sometime between Tuesday nite and Wednesday. Your story made me laugh out loud...Thanks for sharing.

CelticLady said...

Funny story!!! What would we do without those men?? Thanks for sharing....

Ioana said...

so, all the work was in vain? bummer.

Sarah said...

He's got good humor! With all that snow he couldn't be hurt too bad even if he fell right?

knit1kids4 said...

After all that no football! That's not right

Quasi Serendipita said...

My goodness, that really is serious snow. It has been snowing in London today; enough to cause chaos it seems, even though it isn't sticking to the ground...

The Blonde Duck said...

Aww, that's so sad!

angie said...

I am pretty much speechless. I cannot fathom that much snow. How long do you anticipate being pretty much homebound?

quilly said...

Oh my. Priceless. All that work to watch snow he could have sen from his very own window. I love it!

Mr. Fairway said...

Scholastic Scribe makes this adventure more daring than it was but she was truly concerned that my new titanium knee would give way. Actually, it was easier because of all the snow on the roof. I did get to see the University of Wisconsin hockey game Saturday not to mention the golf tournament and the Super Bowl on Sunday. The boys on the cul de sac understood.

~Melody @ 6 Feet Over~ said...

That's just freaking crazy!!! Us desert rats wouldn't know what to do with that snow! Last year, it snowed record amounts here and you would have thought the world was coming to an end. WISH I would have known the Pam trick for the DireTV dish...I kept going outside with a broom to knock the snow off. lol

~melody~

Susie said...

Yikes!!

Jeanie said...

I love Mr. Fairway's comment...
"easier because of all the snow on the roof". So funny. It sounds like it all turned out okay for him. And the Pam is a great idea.

Happily Retired Gal said...

Love your snowy photos and 'stories' ... I do love happy endings though. Hope you're staying warm and safe!
Hugs and blessings,

Traci said...

If he had seen my bill from the last time an EMT team took me anywhere he might have been a little less cavalier (LOL) but I'm glad that he is safe and sound.

Thanks for stopping by during my rough time. All of your kindness has meant a lot. There is an award waiting for you on my blog. :-)

Traci
38andgrowing.blogspot.com

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Only a guy would do this mission. Thanks for stopping by.

Andrea said...

Just call the EMT's if I fall??? It's funny, but scary! And the Pam? How smart is he?

Stay warm!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

heehee, my hubby would totally do that too - only there's no dormer to crawl out of, he'd have to get to the roof from the balcony or ground.

Glad it ended well!

Marrdy said...

I wondered how you were doing out in the land of much snow.

Looks like Mr Fairway got the job done and in sweats instead of snow pants. What a trooper!!

miss jo said...

OMG ! Now that's a story from the frozen tundra of the nation's capital. Mr. Fairway must have seriously tapped into his Chippewa Falls, Wisc. DNA....Way to cover breaking news with such superior snaps.

Working Mommy said...

Lucky he didn't fall through the roof!! I don't recall getting my dish-sized pancake delivered this morning...maybe you lost my address?! ;-)

~WM

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin