Friday, February 5, 2010

Pink Sugar Cookies & Snow Angels


Cookie Monster

My eldest chica turns 23 today. I'd like to say "It seems like only yesterday," when she was sitting on the living room carpet, raptly inhailing the dulcet tones of "The Little Mermaid," singing along with Ariel. But that would be trite. A cliché, as they say.

Did we really invite the entire kindergarten class over for her 5th birthday? Did we really parade around the block with my Lil' Sis & all the kiddos in tow, singing "Hail to the Redskins" in the wake of the team's latest (and, sadly, last) Super Bowl win?

Did we do sleepovers & conga lines? Did she flee in terror when I once coughed up the cash for a "real" clown?

All that & more. This was the child of projectile vomiting & dog bites, & more trips to the ER than Carter has pills. The one who learned a disparaging remark in middle school, & who couldn't wait to get home to anoint her baby sister with the perjorative term.

But she's also the one who stood up for Ella Numera Dos in high school, when "girl drama" threatened to get the best of the little froshie. And the one who collapsed in a tidal wave of tears when she learned that her little sister's kitty had just gone to that great litter box in the sky.

Ella Una keeps reminding me that she's "a grownup now," a second-semester law student who can think for herself. All that's true. But to me, she's still the one who snuggles with her Mommy when she's feeling blue & never passes up a chance to make a Snow Angel. And who, when she received the 6 dozen (that would be 72) homemade, iced, PINK sugar cookies, woke her Mommy from a sound sleep to exclaim that they'd survived the cross-country transit, "without one crumb out of place!"

¡Felicidades, chica! Hope you catch a few snowflakes soon. We're expecting the Snowstorm of the Century here in DC today; you know I'll be thinking of you!


Snow Angels

36 comments:

cat said...

Happy Birthday to her and to you. What great memories.

Vodka Logic said...

happy Birthday, what a proud day

singedwingangel said...

Happy Birthday to her and I want some cookies. Mind you I don't NEED them but they do look awful good lol

pixielation said...

What a lovely photo! I love the snow falling all about you. Hope she has a great day.

danita said...

thanks for stopping by my site! what great memories! i wonder what mine will be!

Jennifer Juniper said...

You ARE expecting a lot of snow! They are undecided how much we will get here in Pittsburgh. Go stock up on food and drinks and snuggle in for the weekend!

Quasi Serendipita said...

Those cookies look wonderful!

Evansmom said...

Great Post!

Susie said...

I hope she has a GREAT birthday!!

Good luck weathering the storm. Apparently, Wisconsin has been spared (strangely, the only state in the region???).

Richella said...

So nice to meet you!

Is today (2/5) your daughter's birthday? If it is, then she's exactly half my husband's age! He's 46 today.

Time flies, does it not?

"And so our stories go..." said...

I love the picture of you guys with the snow. What a great shot. Happy birthday!
Mary

quilly said...

Happy Birthday Ella Una. May her day be as perfect as those cookies and her mother's love.

JennyMac said...

Those cookies are darling. Happy Birthday wonderful girl..you sure have a special Mom.

LOVE that last pic. Fantastic.
Stay warm and safe this weekend.

Tracy P. said...

If weather travels eastward today, she should have a few flakes at least. I know she's brought you so much joy. Happy birthday Una!

paulandrewrussell said...

It only seems like yesterday when my two oldest were born. Time passes by so quickly.

We're in the throes of a blizzard here too, so my commiserations to you Melissa. :-(

Together We Save said...

Happy Birthday!! Great memories.

eileeninmd said...

Happy Birthday to you chica. Your cookies look delicious!

Tara R. said...

Feliz cumpleaños to Ella Numera Uno!

Paloma said...

Happy Birthday to both of you :)

Those pictures were great!!!

... it scares me to think the years with my little girl will pass so fast too!

I have to enjoy her as much as I can!

Paloma.

Tracie said...

I hope she has a wonderful birthday!

Stay safe in the snow. I hear you are going to get a lot.

Chaotic Creations by Kristen said...

DC??? Hail to the Redskins??? WOOHOO!!! Meee Toooo!! My 2nd Maryland Bloggy Friend this week! Love it! Their calling for 3+ feet now...can you believe it?
You'll have lots of time to reflect on all the memories though...enjoy it!! Thnx for stopping by the other day!
xoxoxo,
Kristen

Allyson said...

I love it when you celebrate birthdays on your blog. You always do such a great tribute to the person as you know/remember them. Happy birthday to your daughter!!! And here's hoping you all have the salt and trucks to handle what's coming your way. It's all CNN can talk about. I'm a little glad to only be getting rain, for once. Bloggy friends in Baltimore are bracing for the worst too. Let us know you haven't been buried in the avalanche!

Petite Little Bee said...

Hello: Happy Birthday to your daughter. What a wonderul day!! Thanks for sharing with us. Cheers, Lia

James said...

Happy Birthday to her but now I feel old, I turn 43 tomorrow. Can I have a cookie? :)
They look great! I also like the picture with the falling snow. We are looking forward to getting your snow leftovers tomorrow. I love snow so I hope it's a lot.

Jeanie said...

It may be trite, but it also true...those years feel like they fly by. You have given her a great past and it sounds like she has a great future ahead of her. Stay in and stay warm with all that snow coming your way.

Kellies said...

I have a 23-year-old too! She wasn't the one drooling over The Little Mermaid though; that was her older sister. She actually wanted to be a mermaid. It was a sad day when I told her that she really couldn't be one...for real that is. She still pretended.

Jenners said...

I do the same "trip down memory lane" and my son is only 5! I can't imagine how I'm going to feel when he is 23!

And we're getting the big snowstorm here now ... arrived about two hours ago. Stay warm!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday to her! You must be very proud, and rightly so.

{ Persis Shah } said...

Happy Birthday to ur daughter! Those cookies look absolutely delish...great pic as well.

Regina said...

Yummy hearts:). Great photos.
Cheers to the birthday girl.

mbkatc230 said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter. What a lovely post. I love that you sent her 6 dozen cookies, what a fun thing to do. Oh, and the reflection is really neat too! Kathy

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said...

I want to freeze my kids. Why does time have to go so fast? I try to live in the moment because one minute my son was 2 and now 12. I can't even imagine 23! But, it will be here sooner than we know. Sad, but also sweet.

Working Mommy said...

Happy Birthday to a fellow Aquarian!!! My bday is today!!

~WM

miss jo said...

Muy, muy a-dor-a-ble ! Yes, it did all happen. Felicidades !

awarewriter said...

Sing Happy Birthday. Time marches on doesn't it. Our eldest turned 36 last month. Kind of scary when you dwell on it.

日月神教-任我行 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,性感影片,正妹,聊天室,
情色論壇

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin