Thursday, February 4, 2010

No Such Thing

Today's Writer's Workshop Prompt #1: A Song You Can't Escape

I knew when I first heard the lyrics to John Mayer's 2001 anthem to teenage angst, "No Such Thing," that it would be my anthem, as well. I've never~ever~heard words that so accurately portray the unique intersection of emotions, intellect & physical development that characterizes high school. I defy you to fail to find a part of this song to which you can relate. The chorus alone is worth all of the pimples, posing & proselytizing my cherubs endure over the course of the 4 years they're locked up at Our Humble High School:

"Welcome to the real world," she said to me
Take a seat
Take your life
Plot it out in black and white
Well I never lived the dreams of the prom kings
And the drama queens
I'd like to think the best of me
Is still hiding
Up my sleeve

They love to tell you
Stay inside the lines
That something's better
On the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the
Top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
just a lie you've got to rise above

So the good boys and girls take the so called right track
Faded white hats
Grabbing credits
Maybe transfers
They read all the books but they can't find the answers
And all of our parents
They're getting older
I wonder if they've wished for anything better
While in their memories
Tiny tragedies

They love to tell you
Stay inside the lines
But something's better
On the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the
Top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
Just a lie you got to rise above

I am invincible(x3)
As long as I'm alive

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the
Top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
Just a lie you've got to rise above

I just can't wait til my 10 year reunion
I'm gonna bust down the double doors
And when I stand on these tables before you
You will know what all this time was for

Now, what is it I heard about this cute young guy? He's involved? Is it Jennifer Aniston or Taylor Swift? Oh, he's back with Cameron Diaz? That means he still likes older women. 'Cause if he's available, I might be, too...


debi9kids said...

LOL! Loved this and made me think back on my own silly highschool days :)

Farmers Wife said...

Visiting from mama kats! You have made me think of my high school days which now has given me a warm blushing glow. I loved high school, the good and the bad but overall the growing that happened to me there. I'll never forget it..

cat said...

Oh this took me back - I hated high school.

parentingBYdummies said...

Any news on whether Justin Timberlake is into older women? Actually, he was with Cameron Diaz too at one point. If I could just push that Jessica chick off a mountain...

The Mommyologist said...

Ok, don't hate me, but I can't understand why all these Hollywood starlets are falling for John Mayer. He's kinda goofy looking! Those high school lyrics are spot on though!!

Linda said...

Hi, This took me back too. Too long ago to mention. Some good times with the bad.. It's remembering that it's all about.
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.

Melissa aka Equidae said...

lovely :) passed by from SITS

Allyson said...

I've not been a fan of all John Mayer's music, but this one definitely struck a chord with me. High school is best forgotten for me (theater rats don't get to become prom queens) and his lyrics captured all of that. But of course, you have to be out of high school for quite some time to actually capture that, right? As for John, personally...I would probably kick him out of bed for eating crackers. Not my cup of tea (more of a Gary Senise kind of girl). But he has good hair.

I hear you're about to get slammed with snow in D.C. Better go get your bread and milk!

tara said...

so true, definitely, i can relate to that song. visiting from mama kats!

Libby said...

Hey SITS-tah!
I always sang along to this song and never listened to what I was saying.
It's a pretty awesomely written song!!!
And I'm glad you found an anthem for your life! It's amazing how songs get us through the day.

angie said...

I've never really listened to the lyrics, I just took a try down memory lane. :)

shraddha said...

i love that song too!!!

just back from India and trying to visit all my favorite blogs..

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben is a John Mayer fanatic. FANATIC.

blueviolet said...

He's a womanizer! Stay true!

Courtney said...

i LOVE him. did you see my wishful wednesday post about him? sigh. you may have to fight me for him.

Susie said...

It really does hit home:-)

Tortuga said...

I love this song, and it does seem to fit you. You inspired me to start doing Writer's Workshop, so I admit I gave you some linky love on my blog today, haha. Thanks!

Ioana said...

aw, i miss high school so much. gosh, it's only been a few months?

PS. just read your "about moi' post. and I have a confession. kind of a confession. i assume you are familiar with Gilmore Girls, the so well known movie.
so, any-who, while reading the above mentioned post, I was thinking about that movie. Cause the only real journalists I know are from that movie (the word real is use loosely in the context of the fictional movie Gilmore Girls). And through the end of the post, I started reading it with Paris' voice. yes, the Paris from the so many times mentioned Gilmore Girls movie. Please, tell me, am I damaged?

PPS. I talk too much. and I write as I talk.


singedwingangel said...

stopping by to see what yo ahve been up to.. I can honestly say Ihave not listened to much John Mayer at all lol.. I know shame on me..

Tracie said...

I would have loved those lyrics when I was in high school. I probaby would have had them hanging somewhere in my room.

erica said...

That's a good song to have in your head... what a hottie too :)

TheShoppingGirl said...

I'm not a huge John Mayer fan, but I'm definitely a fan of this song. I don't know who he hasn't been linked to in Hollywood. He's even been captured making out with a guy. So, it sounds like their is hope for you; he sounds like an equal opportunity employer.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

miss jo said...

Thanks for the transcription. Can always use teen-age angst insight. I like the line about lots of life still up his sleeve.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

日月神教-任我行 said...


jack said...

Thank you for your time and efforts to have put these things together on this blog site. That i very much loved your ideas through your own articles over certain things. I am aware that you have a number of demands in your schedule therefore the fact that an individual like you took as much time just like you did to guide people just like us via this article is also highly liked.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin