Tuesday, February 9, 2010

High Steaks Grilling

High Steaks Grilling

So, we over here at The Scholastic Scribe have decided to go with the flow, as it were. We missed 2 school days last week because of snow. The first 3 days of this week have been canceled, as well. Well, you can't expect Our Humble High School to resume operations with another foot of snow on the way?

Yup, you read that right-0. One more foot expected, starting this afternoon, trailing into Wednesday evening. So, we might be back in school on Thursday, but chances of that happening could be slim to none.

Instead of going to the gym yesterday, I went to the grocery store to provision us for the next onslaught. And I spent about an hour shoveling a "neutral zone" on the back patio, so we could grill steaks and at least pretend that Spring is on the way.

One hour's worth of heavy, wet snow. I'm pretty sure I burned a few calories. Probably not enough to offset the following, an old Midwestern standby in situations such as the one we're facing out here in DC this week. But there's nothing like a hot toddy to warm the soul, now, is there?

The Tom & Jerry
(Invented at the Planters' House Hotel in St. Louis)

12 egg(s)
1 cup sugar
1 bottle brandy
Pinch of ground allspice
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
1 bottle dark rum
milk
nutmeg

Glass Type: mug

Instructions
Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until they form a stiff froth, and the yolks~to which you have added the sugar~ "until they are as thin as water," as the professionals advise, gradually adding 4 ounces brandy (spiceaholics will also add a pinch each of ground allspice, cinnamon, and cloves). Fold the whites into the yolks.

When ready to serve, give it another stir and then put 1 tablespoon of this batter in a small mug or tumbler. Now add 1 ounce brandy (although some from the South prefer bourbon) and 1 ounce Jamaican rum, stirring constantly to avoid curdling. Fill to the top with hot milk and stir until you get foam. Sprinkle a little grated nutmeg on top. This one may require practice and a certain amount of fiddling, but it's well worth the effort. Note: Some people find the milk too rich and filling, so they use half hot milk, half boiling water.

Recipe courtesy of Esquire.com

30 comments:

quilly said...

Whoa. I think if I were to suggest grilling steaks in the snow I think I;d get a stake -- well done!

cat said...

I tell you , my husband braai (barbeque) in any weather - I can see him doing it in snow if we had.

{ Persis Shah } said...

Hello, I just passed on the Sunshine Award to you for your fabulous blog!

Please check http://onestylemile.blogspot.com/2010/02/of-awards-and-accolades.html to accept it.

Have a lovely day!

~ Persis.

Ioana said...

that's a nice way to make Spring come sooner.

It's Always Something Around Here said...

I am impressed! My muscles are too sore to did out our grill.....I love the idea though.

Fierce said...

OMG you get days off of school??! I wish I were that lucky. Happy barbecuing.

:)
xoxo

Mommie Daze (Colleen) said...

I've never grilled surrounded by two feet of snow before, and I live in Michigan where it snows all the time. We have a storm coming our way today.

Amy said...

Absolutely shockingly, we're off of school, too. Wish I had a grill and friends who won't buried in their apartments, or I'd have an effe this grilling party.

Hope you enjoy your time off!

Jayde said...

I think my kids would be thrilled if they didn't have to g to school due to snow. It's funny the different criteria for cancelling due to snow. I remember going to school when I lived in NY with feet of snow, but here in Texas, they freak if we get an inch. Hope you don't go stir crazy in the house there.

Allyson said...

I was a little alarmed that you have a drink recipe calling for 12 EGGS. But I guess 12 eggwhites is a little different. AND healthy! We've just been adding Kahlua to our hot chocolate. And yes, I was completely unaware of the onslaught I was to wake up to this morning. And now? It's freezing rain. Awesome. We're going to be in school until a week before it's time to go back. Kudos to you for giving the finger to Mother Nature and grilling anyway. I've thought about firing up the fire pit for roasted marshmallows. But...y'know...it's cold out there...

Tara R. said...

I blame that dang groundhog.

Paloma said...

We are finally getting some snow here so I am happy! Great pic!... I'd love to have something grilled now!

Paloma.

June Freaking Cleaver said...

Right now, the top of my grill looks like a Sno-Cone - we only got about five inches of snow here last night.

And the charcoal? In the shed - no way we're gonna shovel a path to get those briquettes any time soon.

The steaks will have to wait in the freezer.

Lottie said...

wow that receipe looks awesome

BUT.. have to say I prefer all that snow lol

I miss it living in new zealand - we rarely get it on the ground here ..boohoo !!

lifewithsweetpeaches said...

Oh, my, that's a lot of snow. We got a quarter of an inch last week...does that count?! We're mostly getting rain while the rest of the east coast is getting covered in white stuff. It's hard to enjoy snow days when you know that you have to give up a (or 5) beautiful spring days, isn't it?

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

Wow, doing that much work must mean you REALLY love your steak ;)

Great, now I want one.

Peggy said...

I can't believe you guys are getting so much snow! I'm much farther north and we're getting a dusting out of the next storm system...an inch, maybe two. I'm in New Hampshire...I want a SNOW day!

:-)

Emily said...

We've been without internet for a few days, so I've been getting behind on all my blogs. I absolutely can't believe all that snow! Stay warm!

Sarah said...

with tht brandy and rum (and bbq) who cares if there's another foot of snow coming? let it snow!

CARMEN said...

So much snow, I have seen bevore two years ago. Such a great idea to make grill! Have a nice day! :))

The Blonde Duck said...

I think just shivering in all that snow would burn a few hundred calories.

The Toll House Cookie said...

Love grillin' in the wintertime. There's just something "right" about the entire process. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! ;-)

Susie said...

I LOVE Tom and Jerrys!! It is a "right of passage" drink in our family. If Aunt Joyce offers you a Tom and Jerry, you are an adult in the family:-)

Tracy P. said...

My mom loved Tom and Jerrys. She would make them for us minus the alcohol. Still my preferred recipe--just never acquired a taste for the bite. Yum, tho, in a blizzard and all. We have a LOT of snow right now, even for us, but I think you've got us beat!

A 2 Z said...

Just visiting from Sits but what a nice surprise! Now that's my type of recipe...I cant believe you guys are getting more snow than us in Canada and LOL we are hosting the Winter Olympics....

Quasi Serendipita said...

Sounds delicious. BBQ in the snow is impressive!

Melissa @ Cellulite Investigation said...

Sooooo impressed that you're grilling in all that! Thanks for stopping by the Cellulite Investigation this morning. Don't you just love SITS?

CelticLady said...

Wow you have your share of snow, we have some but not like that.. Thanks for stopping by!!! My kids would dream of snow like that so they could have snow days.....

miss jo said...

That snow is bananas. Between the walk and shoveling you must have burned enough calories for one Tom & Jerry, which might be needed in the patio neutral zone while grilling steaks. That drink has more eggs than Nana's pound cake....Wonder what the patio will look like tomorrow. Have fun !

Working Mommy said...

Yet another day out of school for tomorrow...do you think you'll go back on Friday?! I'm hoping for another Federal day off on Friday...hey, a girl can dream - right?!

~WM

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin