Friday, January 22, 2010

Mrs. Scribe Reviews: The Body Scoop for Girls

The Sun Never Sets in PCB

We ladies have seen it; we've even experienced it. I witness it all the time, especially when I take my cherubs overnight on a school field trip.

The journalistas & I will be hanging at a Bennigan's or Ruby Tuesday's; one of those ubiquitous joints where we can do the burger janx for mucho más less dinero.

Everyone orders. Everyone appears to be famished

The food comes. The boys wolf theirs down in seconds flat. The girls pick. And pick. And pick some more, moving bits of comestibles around on their plates.

"Are you gonna finish that?"

A perennial boy question. I've never heard a girl ask it.

The Body Scoop for Girls, by Dr. Jennifer Ashton, addresses this cultural phenomenon, among others. The subtitle just about sums it up: "A Straight-Talk Guide to a Healthy, Beautiful You."

Ashton, an Ob-Gyn who also works as a CBS correspondent and whose specialty is adolescent care, has written a book that runs the gamut on teenage girls, from eating, to development to personal hygiene. She even addresses piercings. In fact, the only girl-related topic she doesn't seem to cover in this direct, comprehensive primer is tatoos.

This guide is a roadmap, of sorts, which can help teenage girls and their parents puzzle out the highs and the lows of growing up.

Ashton's frank diction and straight-up tone cover the things we all tend to talk about (one of my favorite chapters is entitled "Beauty and the Breast") and those that we prefer to whisper about (Bottom line? If you don't want to get an STD, use a condom). Her advice is easy to understand and accessible to even the most reticent reader.

All you Moms out there will appreciate Ashton's open approach to those years that seem to linger, between the ages of 12 and 22. If you're having trouble talking to your daughter, The Body Scoop on Girls is a conversation-starter and a wonderful way to negotiate the do's and don'ts of these turbulent times together.

BTW: The young women in the Superior Snap above successfully weathered their teens, and their mothers are no worse for wear because of it. In fact, the only thing we really had to worry about last year was the Spring Break Trip to Panama City Beach, FLA. Mission accomplished!


Allyson said...

What a slippery slope this is...I see my sister going through it already with her 2 daughters...and they're 5 and 7! I just know that the teens will be a tumultuous time for her. I'm passing this book title on to her..I'm sure she'll appreciate having it in her arsenal!

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

I almost wonder if I want to hear what that book has to say!!!

Great photo! It would be nice to be at the beach right now!

Happy skywatch Friday


BLOGitse said...

Beautiful sky!
Lucky me, no more teens... :)

Anonymous said...

Ooof, that's a time that I would not ever, ever, ever revisit. And I'm glad my little sister is almost to the other side of it. Yeuck.

Will pass this book title on, though. Thanks for the review!

Amy said...

That was me ^, clicking too soon.

Quasi Serendipita said...

That picture is wonderful. Great shot!

Emily said...

I'll have to check this book out and get a glimpse at what's to come...that is, if I dare!

It's good to know, though, that other moms were as worried about the teenage years as I am and that their kids turned out fine. You're giving me hope!

Tracy P. said...

Looks like a good one! Beautiful shot.

Susie said...

That sounds like a great resource:-)

blueviolet said...

It sounds like a really good book!!!

Sarah said...

they say the best gift you can give your daughter is self worth. i've seen moms not only get plastic surgeries for themselves, but also encourage their daughters to get it. what kind of message are they sending to their girls, i wonder. your girls are beautiful inside and out, and you've done a great job!

Tortuga said...

Ooo, thanks for the book recommendation. Bean just turned 10 and I know the teen years will come fast and furious. She already has attitude and early hormones, Lord help us when they hit full force.

quilly said...

This sounds like an excellent book. As a teacher I have encountered too many parents expecting me to know how they should talk to their daughter about peer pressure, sex and physical maturation issues. I think I'll keep this handy little reference on my shelf.

Bex said...

What a beautiful photo!

Thank you for my comment today Melissa! xx

LisaMM said...

That's a beautiful pic of your girls at the beach.

I'm a big wuss with these kinds of conversations but am trying very hard to be completely open and honest with my kids. It's not easy.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks so much for all the time spent reading and reviewing The Body Scoop. We greatly appreciate it!

Yaya said...

Wow that sounds like a really helpful book.

Jayde said...

Sounds like a great book. Might help out with my 12 year old's self-esteem issues.

carma said...

such a sad contrast between the sexes

allycupe said...

I'm with Jan, I'm almost afraid to read the book! But I think I will. Thanks for the review.

Suko said...

Fun post! Awesome photo and review. The book is a great resource for girls and their moms. I also reviewed this recently.

Thanks for your review.

Rachel Cotterill said...

This all seems to be so much worse for young women these days... we never worried about anything like this, I never even knew any of my friends go on a diet when I was at school (only 10 years ago!). Hopefully it's not too late to reverse the trend.

Charlene said...

I've never heard of this book so THANKS! I have a 10 year old daughter and I am already feeling totally overwhelmed. Not because of her (she's a total darling) but just because of all the changes which I know are coming and the world we live in today. Yikes!

The Balance Beam

miss jo said...

Thanks for this review. I remember in the 1970s as a kid I would never think of pushing my food around at a restaurant. Going out for a burger was always a lot of fun. I blame the proliferation of fast food and chain restaurants over the last 30 years for numbing American taste buds, while expanding waists.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin